Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Revisiting a Fish Creek tree

You may remember a little while ago me and a buddy met up for a photo ramble through Fish Creek. Along the way we discovered this great twisted tree. None of the shots I took then turned out to my satisfaction, so I made a mental note to return.

But first a sunrise! I had hopes for it getting really spectacular overhead, but the wind blew the clouds to the east, and this is about as good as it got. The photo is about a quarter of the sky.


Looking south there was this.


Back to the tree. Today was the day, even though the light wasn't that nice. Sort of flat. But even now, one of the shots I wanted still didn't come out quite the way I want. Yet another visit in the wings.





Still, it was nice to get out for some fresh air and stroll the park. I was surprised how nice the creek is, and took some photos of that (duh), some which seemed to suit the flat light. It's a dangerous time to be walking on the creek though, there could be all sorts of soft spots from the warm weather. The surface is ever so slightly melted so it's extremely slippery.

It's almost like spring. The air is warm and windy, but it's still cool in the park, and all the shade means the ice is slow to melt. Even if it does melt it has nowhere to go since the ground is still frozen, so the smaller paths slowly ice up.

If I go again tomorrow afternoon, I think I'd wear the traction aids once I got off the paved paths. I had to pick my way very carefully without them today.

Here's some more tree stuff. I liked the almost knot work pattern in this bit of tree wreckage.


Grass and trees. For some reason in that part of the park the trees have really thick and corrugated bark.






1 comment:

  1. It was a good dawn and you captured it well. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!