Thursday, November 1, 2007

Canal Run

Who would ever have believed that a path along a canal would be so hilly? The path goes up and down along the hillside, not just along beside the canal like I thought. This would be a really interesting run in the daylight, since you'd be able to see the WID canal headwaters, right where it ties into the Bow river. There was one idiot riding his bike without a light, on a path I could barely see at a slow running pace. I didn't hear any screams, so I guess he knew where he was going.

I parked at the Bow Waters Canoe club. 7 minutes warmup walk, 6 x 3 min run/2 min walk, and another 7 minutes or so cool down. This took me north, across the pedestrian bridge at Memorial, back down to the canal weir on the Bow (do NOT go swimming there unless you're tired of life!) and back again.

It was really interesting to vary my pace on the hills. For some reason, going up seems easier mechanically if harder on the lungs, and going down harder mechanically and easier on the lungs. Maybe I just need a lesson on downhill running. It wasn't what I'd call a peaceful run. Traffic noise from Deerfoot is quite loud, especially the indignant honks. But you're protected from the wind for most of it, and there's lots of branching routes. I think I'll have to run there again.

I could also park in the East part of Inglewood, and go running through the bird sanctuary, or along the Bow. Just because there's a park right behind the pool where I shower afterward doesn't mean I have to run there.

The verdict on running - so far so good. Which will be an astonishment to the people who used to listen to me saying that people running any further than for the bus were nuts.

2 comments:

  1. Na na na na boo booo! Told ya sooo. :P Oh how long I've waited to say that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sense of humour - I hope I get the chance to meet you one of the times I come through Calgary .... Do Not Swim in the canal unless you are tired of life :) lol Killing me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!