Saturday, December 21, 2019

Seeking Stillness

This book leaped off the library shelf into my hands. I have often thought there isn't enough stillness in the world, not enough quiet places for a person to just sit and be. Not be anything, just be. Find the quietness within that defines who and what you are.

I've a certain fascination with photos taken with old cameras, with film, with black and white. Not that I want to do it, particularly, film seems so fussy to get the results you might be looking for.

So Seeking Stillness by Olivier du Tre is a wonderfully contemplative read. Even better, he's a local guy, taking photos of local places. I've been to some of the places he's photographed, and his are better. Much better.


I don't do a lot of black and white, at least not deliberately. Sometimes it's the solution to getting rid of a lot of blue in mountain photos. Sometimes there is no colour and it looks better in black and white. Sometimes it just looks better. It's usually still a second thought for me, though.

Get the book out of the library, or go buy it. In the meantime, enjoy some of my older black and whites. Some may have been blogged before, but that was before I started my tagging system. If it just kills you to see a repeat, drop by to explain your troubles to me and I'll feed you some coffee or wine to help you feel better.

These are from a Neil Zeller workshop trip down to Waterton Park, and from an expedition with Sean up Johnston Canyon a few days later.

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

10.

11.

12.

Deadwood of the Day
Naturally I had to go find a black and white one.



1 comment:

  1. Love the title - I will add the book to my list. 2 and 4 don't appear to read correctly. Even with the sun hidden, I would have thought the scenes would be brighter (1/4 stop on the exposure and slide the whites to the rights). With the minor adjustment I think the mood would still be preserved, and the scene would scan correctly. Cheers, Sean
    PS - you are a better photographer now vs then.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!