Sunday, October 25, 2009

Katie ups the ante on core

Today was a great brick session with Katie. I was on the bike two hours, since I started a bit early. Lots of cadence work, spinning our brains out and buns off. I wasn't feeling as smooth as usual. There was some weird muscle twitches going on, even after a long warmup, but they gradually went away. Wasn't happy with some of the really high spin rates though.

Last week the run herd left me in their dust. This week I managed to keep the slowest of them in sight, and was gradually catching up at the very end. By my standards this was a very fast run, with my heart rate in the high 140's for most of it, and edging up into the 150's towards the end. My breathing and legs were good. I managed to make it out to Angela's and back (about 5.4 K or so) in just over 30 minutes, with some easy run at the very end. Pretty damn good for for me. Katie, being part gazelle, got back to unlock the door, had a snack, set up the core stuff, and who knows what else, then came back to find me and make sure I hadn't keeled over into the river.  

For a while it felt like I was actually running, so I'm feeling pretty happy. Plus, it was a totally gorgeous day for a run along the river. Nice and crisp, though at first the head wind made me regret a bit not wearing a jacket. Coming back was with the wind and it felt just right. I saw several people out in shorts, but it's just a bit too cool for that, especially coming from a hot and sweaty spin class.

Then, with an evil grin, she got us started on the core workout. Very tough today. We did a mountain climbing thing, lots of plank, lots of pushups, some squats, and a variant of pushups that was just brutal. Nobody threw up, but I was beginning to regret the post run snack.

Weekly Summary
Swim 2.0 hrs
Bike 5.0 hrs
Run 1.66 hrs
Walk 2.16 hrs
Core 3.0 hrs
Total 13.75 hrs

4 comments:

  1. Nice weekly stats, brother.

    Except for the big goose-egg on the vomiting.

    Try to get that up to at least one time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously hitting your body... good stuff this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watch out Keith -- you'll be catching up to the other runners soon....:) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the brick (and core). I'm trying to motivate myself to go to yoga tonight. After reading this, I will go.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!