Monday, January 31, 2011

I'm glad it was a bike day today

When we looked at the weather page this morning it said -29 C (-20 F) and there was a stiff wind. That's getting just a little brisk. The swim was the usual today, long warmup, lots of dolphin kick and pull, some drill, 10 x 100 all between 95 and 100 seconds though I went for a longer rest period, alternating starting on 2:30 and 2:15. That was lots, and I'll try a consistent 2:15 next time. My thinking was to swim strong and smooth trying to stay relaxed and keep my stroke good, without struggling with oxygen debt. For now.

We got the news at the pool that starting on Thursday there will be a high school swim club taking up two lanes from 7 till 8 on Tues and Thurs. That means squishing all the rest of us into the remaining lanes, which is going to be a bit of a zoo. I think I'll try swimming at Inglewood, or Canyon Meadows instead on those days.

Once home I got some bison chili going, and left it to simmer all day. Then onto my bike for 1.25 hrs. My legs were relaxed and spinning well right from the start. I mainly stuck right around 90 rpm, doing some long semi time trial sets, trying to keep the cardio level just at the top of zone 2, while spinning smoothly. I think my legs are beginning to remember what this is all about.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great swim! No fun about the high school swim team using half the pool though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bison chili? I'll be right over. Tell Linda to make cookies. And pop open a bottle of Malbec.

    ANNOYING to have to contend with crowded pools. We have the same situation here in Colorado. Virtually none of the high schools are equipped with aquatic facilities, so all the teams have to practice and race at the rec centers, which leaves the everyday athlete to fend for herself. Which is mostly why I finally broke down and joined a fancy schmancy gym and love every minute of swimming solitude I am fortunate to have.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!