Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thursday night

This has been quite the week so far. Better than not having a week at all, I suppose, but I'd rather not do this again any time soon.

For Wed morning, I doubled checked my gear, and did what was supposed to have happened on Monday. I parked under 8th St again, for the first time since July this year. Back then, it took 27 minutes easy to get to 32nd St, today was 25 and a few seconds, taking it really, really easy. Walked 10 minutes to warm up, then started with an easy run, trying for light feet and a quick turnover. It was pretty cold, maybe -5C, and I'd wondered if I'd under dressed. But I warmed up soon and settled into a nice pace. There were bits of micro-climate; for a while I was almost warm, then going past the golf dome the temperature dropped quite a bit. Coming back I was beginning to get tired, but was firm about keeping the pace till the 16th Ave bridges, then I settled back into a slow jog back to the car. 49 minutes up and back. Walked another 5 minutes to cool down, and stretched a bit. My legs are a bit tired, but I'm really happy with this run.

Then to FOMC. Started off sharing a lane with Backstrokegirl. I see her lots. She does about half and half front crawl and backstroke. Though she swims a bit slower than I usually do, she's really good about sharing. There was a really fast guy in the next lane, and I didn't feel like trying to keep up. He left part way through, and she moved over. Then it gets complicated. A couple really slow swimmers joined my lane, so I moved over. Fast guy had disappeared, and there was another guy exactly as fast as I was, and someone else. We did circles happily. Then a couple other people joined us. By then me and the other fast guy had figured ourselves out, and he adopted my intervals, and we took turns leading. (I hope that's not cheating.) The rest of the lane had the wit to get out of the way, though the guy with fins was startled that we caught up to him. Only thing of note is that I cramped my hams really bad doing breaststroke during cool down. Ouch. Otherwise the 45 minutes of swim was good. Another 15 minutes of careful core.

From that good start the day descended into shite. I was still considering trying to catch up on the core I missed on Tues. Did some rollering and gentle stretches in between fighting with my computer. I think the stress of the computer issues wasn't helping me to relax. By booting from the original disks I managed to repair some issues with the hard drive, and some permissions problems. I managed to get it up again, but I knew things weren't totally right. I started to change for the core, then realized I was really cranky, my legs were tired, my arms still hurt, and I simply wasn't in the mood. Napped a little, but it didn't help. Started trying to install a software update.

Yoga was a horror show. I'd like to know what sick sadist decided that tree posed needed a bend. I can barely do tree at the best of times. The bend is right out. I got a bit of a hamstring cramp trying. Nothing else went well. The teacher is really good, and I like her, but that was not my night for yoga.

Came home to the update still happening. Very slowly. Left it overnight. Can you believe it was STILL running in the morning, 97% complete and only 1 hr 43 minutes to go. Over breakfast it crept up to almost 2 hours. After dropping off Linda and then going back to bed for a snooze, it was over 3 hours. I pulled the plug on that, and went to reinstall the original OS, while archiving my old stuff. That failed after the first several attempts. Then I tried to scrub the whole hard drive, and the computer spat out the disk even before I could boot. I gave up and called Apple. They say there's a hardware problem, and of course I can't run the diagnostics anymore. I have to bring it in for them to look at so it's all packaged up. Computers are such fun. This is the first problem I've ever had with a Mac in more than 15 years of constant use. The astute among you are asking how I'm posting this. My faithful old cube is still running, 8 years on. It's what I use to display my workout plans, or play workout DVDs. Hooked it up to the internet again, and Bob's your uncle.

In the meantime I was supposed to do a spin and core session today. I napped after doing some errands instead. Linda thinks I'm fighting off a bug, since it's extremely rare for me to need this much sleep, and I'm dragging myself around like a horse on the way to the glue factory. You can bet I'm chowing down on the multi-vitamins, Echanicea, Vitamin D, with lots of orange juice. I'll be going to bed early tonight too.


  1. Man, you have had a week. I am happy to read that you had a good swim (and run). That's exciting!

    I hate, hate, hate computer problems. I don't get them and find them frustrating. Grrrrrrr.

    Hope you're not getting sick. Sleep is good.

    PS- did you just add IMC 2010 or bust? Love it. If you added it a while ago, I just noticed.

  2. 15 years is a long time to go without computer problems --- I don't know how many times we've had to bring our computer to the city for repair.

    When I was at my parents' house last night, I went down to their computer room to show my Mom something on the internet. They store their old computer stuff there too -- We still have a Commodore 64 and Atari -- and all the Atari games you could think of. LOL!!!

    Your inner shark sounds like he found a friend at the pool. :) :)

  3. I hate circle swimming. HATE. I get to the pool extra early just to try and avoid it. Luckily I live in a kinda small town and it's very rare that I have to share with more than one person.

    Yoga? What's that? Oh yeah, those are the classes that the teacher always uses me as the example of IMproper form. :)

    Get some rest!

  4. I don't like computer troubles either...but 15 years is a great run though!

    You are definitely banging out some great workouts and will no doubt rock IMC next year my friend.

    Train like a Rock-Star, race from the heart!


Looking forward to reading your comment!