Friday, August 9, 2024

A fun road trip

Sean and I had planned to get together after I was back from NL. Earlier this week we started thinking about where to go and what the weather might be doing. He hadn't been to Waterton Park for some time, and it's been a couple years for me. I took the big film camera, and will be developing those later today.

We got there before things got busy and strolled the beach a bit, then up to Cameron Lake. Along the way did did several waterfalls in the Cameron River, but not the famous ones in town. Then out to Red Rock Canyon to join the crowd. Then Lundbreck Falls on the way home. 

We left on a misty Thursday morning, and stopped several times on the way.

1.

2.

3. I've always had a bit of a fascination for the big round bales.


4. A quiet moment on the road.


5. The view on the way to Cameron Lake.


6. Playing with intentional camera movement.


7. There's lots of these pretty flowers in between the dead trees.

8. Red Rock Canyon (Not Red Rock Coulee A or B, which is another Sean and Keith road trip.) always has people in it. There was not going to be a photo of the little falls without people. So I cheated, stood on the bridge, dialed in 1/10 of  second because I knew that would give me nice water texture, and waited for someone to leap. I didn't have to wait long. (Henri Cartier-Bresson, who's he?)


9. More of the canyon.

10.

11. Yes, it's a long way down. There were some kids walking up the river through the canyon.


12. There's lots of dead white trees, and we worked them a bit, but the light wasn't really right. I found these two in a moment of nice light.


13.
And we saw a bear foraging for berries! It was just off the road, I had the camera poking out the window. No other cars on the road. We were both amused as we would stop in a pull out, get out, and look to see if there were any photos. Several times we got the cameras and were working the scene. We'd be looking for landscapes or something that caught our eye to see if there was a photo there. Invariably people would slow down and try to see what we were looking for. Several stopped and I chatted with one guy. 

In other news, the NL book is progressing well. I've 90 photos selected, and text for most of them. This is all draft, of course. The next step is to see if there are any photos or stories I've overlooked that should be in the book. After all, there's more than 3,000 other photos, all wanting their moment in the spotlight.

I added another photo to the film project book, and hope another from Waterton will make it. Sean had a brilliant suggestion for the book, which makes it more complicated, but I totally want to do it.

Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)

Driftwood (NL)

Yukon

Film (new) The Elbow River in Clearwater Park.


Michelle

Linda looking out to sea, perhaps dreaming of new worlds to conquer. I've no idea what the significance of the 103 is.


Newfoundland

1 comment:

  1. Love that shot of Linda. Newfoundland, I presume? Looks like you had a fun roadtrip to Waterton.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!