Sunday, August 11, 2024

Book gestating

There. 90 photos. Text. A cover. A title, even. Next step is to let it simmer for a little bit, and review photos that didn't make it into the book, to see if any should. Maybe some will be added. Maybe some will be removed and replaced with another, better one. Maybe just removed.

This simmering process is important. Trying to rush creativity leads to unhappy results. I've looked at edited photos and wondered why I wasted my time, lipstick on a pig and all. Or looked at some and wondered why I didn't edit them. Rushing text leads to spelling mistakes and poor wording.

This is one reason why editors used to exist, and still should. Someone else's eyeballs on the work makes the work better. They see what's there, not what the creator thinks is there. They can ask what the intention is, and suggest ways of making it better. Too many people now think editors are not needed, and generally their work provides the proof they are. Actually, I know editors still do exist, but they're an endangered species. 

Someone else has looked at all my books before I hit the upload button. It's still my fault if something isn't right in print, but I think every book has had at least one oopsie pointed out, and we aren't talking a double space after a period, or slightly misaligned page elements.

Just in case, if you should happen to want a big lay flat book of Newfoundland photos for yourself or as a gift for someone, even if it is kind of expense by coffee table book standards, now is the time to express interest.

Saturday I was looking at the film photos from the Waterton trip, and I'm pretty pleased, other than the 4 images grossly overexposed because I forgot to put the ND filter on the lens. It seems I really do need to make up a little laminated card with a checklist.

Back to Newfoundland. Where was I? The two mile waterfalls in Burlington. It's the trail, two miles of bog to get to the waterfalls, not two miles of waterfalls. And bugs. These bugs didn't care about DEET.

It's actually not a single waterfall, but rather a rocky hillside that happens to have water running down it. The water is kind of a disgusting orange colour, not because of industrial pollution, but because of the mineral content in the rocks. There's a lot of this in NL, which is why the black and white photos look nicer. It was fun and reasonably safe to scramble from rock to rock, looking for compositions. There was enough wind to keep the bugs down and nobody else to get in the way.

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9. I didn't mind wading through this at all. It got our shoes nice and clean for the bog to come.


Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)

Driftwood (NL)

Yukon
Almost 2 years later I'm still working through photos from Yukon, but the end is coming soon. 


Film (new)

Michelle

Linda, spying out the way.


Newfoundland
The deck from the Burlington cabin.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!