Sunday, June 7, 2015

That troublesome white is finally bottled.

I've never had so much trouble with a wine kit. This Meglioli Moscat was more trouble than the rest of them put together. The rest of them being more than 3 dozen kits. It's supposed to be a 6 week kit, and it took nearly 3 months. Started March 14, and just finished yesterday.

I've referred to it off and on in this blog, and I suppose if you were really keen you could look back and get the details. But I doubt it. If I'm not keen enough to go back and provide you a link, you aren't going to go look yourself.

It all went normally, or so I thought, till degassing and stabilizing. It wouldn't settle. Sometimes whites take a little longer, but at least you can see progress. There was none. Just haze.

First I tried more metabisulfite and more degassing. I got lots of foam, but it didn't help. More bentonite and degassing (more foam) didn't help. And this isn't nambly-pambly stirring with a spoon. This is an all out assault with a drill and stirring tool!

My wine kit retailer suggested Sparkaloid and that did the trick. The problem is that it's a very soft layer on the bottom, easy to disturb during racking. I did, and had to go for a second racking before bottling.

Normally I get 29 bottles from a kit. Sometimes 30, sometimes 28, usually with part of a bottle left over for us to taste test right out of the carboy. This time I got only 25 bottles, plus 1.5 bottles of hazy wine for cooking, and part of a bottle for tasting. Considering I was thinking of dumping it at one point and starting the next kit, I suppose I'll have to take it.

Maybe it's a bit pissy of me, but I didn't like the labels either. Their a pain to get the backing off, and I'm pretty sure they are going to be a pain to get off the bottle as well. Which is typical for them.

I've got 3 more Meglioli kits to go and I think they will be the last. They're always more trouble than the other kits, and their instructions are masterpieces of confusion. Even though they do all juice kits, I don't think they are any better than the other kits.

Here's some photos starting still fairly hazy just after the Sparkaloid.


Much better! I was hoping to bottle this, but sucked up too much of the sediment and it was a bit hazy again.

Endless notes!

Finally in the bottle! We drank a glass each, and it's pretty good. Still a bit tart, but we suspect it will mellow very nicely.

Three other kits on the go, all reds. Next weekend I hope to bottle two of them, and get another white started. Then the last 3 of the Meglioli kits. I hope they go well.

1 comment:

  1. good to know about the sparkaloid! we still need to bottle our pinot grigio that was started MONTHS ago!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...