Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Struggling for a title

So there I was, in the dark, surrounded by screaming kids. No, it wasn't a nightmare. I was at the Kid's Halloween party with a camera. In one sense it was an odd event. There were a significant number of kids there who had no memory of this event. It was a first for them, and they were a bit boggled, but caught on quick. The other was older kids who had missed it and were delighted to be back. I overheard one conversation that included "it's different seeing your friends at a party, and it's so much fun!" A link to the photos, if you're interested, is here.

In one sense, it's a difficult photo session. The kids are amped up on sugar and a party high, so they're moving fast. It's fairly dark, so (a digression for camera nerds) I'm using an f1.8 lens which happens to be really wide, so I need to be really close. ISO is fairly high so there's lots of noise in the photos, and it takes a bit more work than usual to edit. 

If I'd thought about it, I might have rented the Sigma 85mm f1.4 and got myself organized to try some portrait photos with it. But I know I don't want to buy that lens any time soon, so no use tempting myself with it. Only $1400, after all, so why not get two in case one get's broken?

I'm still having fun thinking more about film these days. I've got a film walk around on Thursday with some friends, and I'm thinking about my choices. Big or little camera, or both? Colour or B&W? Decisions decisions. 

This is the oldest photo in the not blogged in 3 months folder. Taken July 30, when there was moist and green happening. We still have snow, though it's slowly melting.


Which gave me a serendipity photo. Which I suppose could belong in the Bee section in Of the Day


The next oldest photos are the covers of some library books that I no longer remember reading. I really must make notes about them if I want to blog about them. As I think about it, I'm not sure I even finished them.

I'm a whole lot fussier about books and movies and TV shows these days. I was browsing Netflix the other day, and must have started half a dozen shows, and bailed on all of them pretty darn quick. I'm eagerly awaiting a book from the library. I had it out, and got part way through it. Not quite savouring every word, but having to chew through it, since it was a tome in every sense of the word. I could only hold it up for so long. I'll be sure to blog about that one.

In other news, I got a request to put a larger version of the aurora time lapse on Youtube, thus it will be done, and a link posted when done.

I have no idea what to use as a title.

Of the Day
Driftwood

Flowers

Peony

Lily

Landscape, from early October 2016. I was on the way to breakfast with a friend, and stopped at this nice viewpoint. There is a tonemapped version of this that is more than just a little lurid.


Tombstone

River scene. These are from the Yukon River tour. A distant look back at Dawson.



Moose. Say goodbye to the moose, this is the last one. There are a few caribou photos next.


Lynx

Film



1 comment:

  1. Ooooooh. Love the bee photo. Beautiful colours, light and composition. Perfect! The orange rose is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!