Saturday, October 8, 2022

The state of life these days

You might have seen or heard the meme, "I'm not getting old, I'm just outliving the warranty."  Whatever warranty that might have existed on me certainly expired a long time ago. Still, the manufacturer seems to have done a pretty good job, though there's some wear in various places, and a few dents and scratches accumulated along the way. 

Which is really good, especially when you consider the alternatives. The other day one of the semi-regulars at the pool asked me when work was going to make me go back into the office. He made the assumption that since I was swimming mid-morning during the week, I was still working from home re: COVID issues. He's got a bit of a bee in his bonnet on that topic and I didn't want to get into it with him. He didn't believe me when I told him I was retired. I'm actually older than he is by several years, but anyone looking at us would assume he is quite a bit older. He's had some rough miles, I think.

But here I am, up and around, not on any medications. I'm not about to sign up for a triathlon, not even a short one, but I'm into the pool for about 10 Km a week, well on the way to my goal of swimming 365 Km in 2022. The idea was to get out for a brisk walk on the non-swim days, but that hasn't been as regular as I'd like. However that's changing just recently. 

After seeing the film photos from Yukon I want to use film more. I've started carrying the small film camera (Canon 7, if you missed it) with me as I'm out and about. I want to capture an image every day with it. The idea is not that I'm capturing deathless art. Far from it. I want to be looking around for something interesting, and take a few minutes to capture it. It might be the play of light and shadow on some bit of ordinary city stuff. Some random street scene that captures my interest for some reason. I've got a roll of colour film in it now, and more in the fridge, mainly because the fall colour has been amazing, but there's some B&W as well. I'd like to get one photo a day, and lets see how long that goes on. The 35 mm film isn't expensive, certainly less than a dollar a photo, unless I go buy really expensive film. Plus it's fun to do, in a way that digital isn't. I've several photo buddies that are also interested in film, and once we're all recovered from our various trips, will probably plan some expeditions of our own.

I'll be using the big film camera (Fujica GW690, if you missed it) for projects and walks where I hope to find some really good images. Images worth capturing on a big piece of film, and going to a bit of trouble to process. Images that I hope are worth the $$$ for every shutter click. In the great scheme of things it isn't THAT expensive, but it could add up quickly.

The digital cameras are still there, of course. The older one is used to digitize film, and the other for capturing events, or a paid photoshoot, or for our community association newsletter, or anything where I need to have the image right away and no fooling around. I'm probably going to re do some of the Yukon negatives with the newer camera as the first step towards printing them. Once winter arrives I've got some indoor photo projects in mind. 

I've been retired from oil and gas work for almost a year and a half now, and it's been fun. Supposedly there is a series of transitions that retired people go through. Honeymoon (I'm free, I'm on vacation!), Disenchantment (golf every day is getting dull), Reorientation (what is I want to do in the short time remaining?), and Stability (I know who and what I am and what I want to do, and it's happening). I seem to have skipped directly to the last step. Perhaps having several breaks between contracts over the years helped with that.

It's not that every day is a whirlwind, though some are. No sooner than I set a date to do something, the next person will suggest that exact time. Some days are a bit of a scramble. In some ways it's tougher to share one car now than when we were both working. I've been active in the community association over the last few years, and I've been asked to become more so, which might get interesting, and may make it into the blog.

Other days are quiet. There's time to read, capture or edit photos, cuddle a demanding cat, or putter about doing whatever. I feel no guilt about spending some days doing absolutely nothing. In some ways, I think that's why I look and (mostly) feel young. I've taken the time to sit calmly and wash out the stresses of life. I try not to take on too much at once, which means I'm not afraid to say no.

So it's all good. I should have done this years ago. Except that I did, several times, as I learned to say no. I think I've got it down pat for oil and gas work. No. The recruiters seem to have got the message, since none have called in a while. 

Saying yes to most photography work. 

An example of a quiet day.


Of the Day
Driftwood

A Green Fools funeral because flower serendipity.


Flower

Peony

Lily

A 2017 bee serendipity from the Landscape


Landscape, south of Longview on a road trip with Cam.


Tombstone, I realized I'd just started with the Tombstone photos, and there's several photos of the start of the Dempster, before you technically get into Tombstone. So here we go. That guy would not get out of the photo.


The bridge at the start of the Dempster Highway.


Neil getting the photo of us lined up on the bridge. It's a tradition.


At last!

Moose

Lynx

Film

1 comment:

  1. From Sean.
    "
    Hi Keith,
    Blogger and my computer are having a momentary spat so here is my comment on:
    The state of life these days
    --
    There is much to be said (or little to be said) for no trauma, no drama.
    8 – One of the reasons I love this part of the world. I am curious why the tree is placed so close to the bottom of the frame. To my eye it adds some tension to the image, which detracts from the sense of calm vastness in motion.
    Cheers, Sean
    "
    Me now. I was mainly looking at the sky and wanted as much of it as possible. As I recall, there was an ugly fence in an inconvenient location between me and the shrub.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!