Monday, December 13, 2021

That 3 months went fast

Not quite 3 months ago I was excited to be joining Neil Zeller on a tour of secret places. Well, the places themselves are not particularly secret, like the location of the evil overlord's lair is. It's just that they are not typically open to the public. You can read more about it here

I'd intended to follow up more of the photos at the time but for whatever reason never did. Time seems to be going quicker now. I think that's because when you're doing something you enjoy, time seems to go quicker. 

I've been asked, (but not in an AMA sense, and the clock is ticking for you to get your AMA questions in to me) how the film experiment is going. It's ongoing, I guess is the best answer. I'm not shooting as much as I thought I would, but I'm being more thoughtful about the shots, which is a good thing for just now. There's just a few shots left on the current roll, which has been in the camera for a while. I really need to get out and finish it off. Perhaps I'll do a B&W roll next. I already know the experiment has been worth doing.

Neil ran a virtual Christmas party photo gift exchange on the weekend. The party was virtual, not the gifts. Before COVID we printed out a photo and did a secret Santa thing that was a lot of fun. But, sigh, don't get me started. Now, the idea was to send in a file to Resolve. They would print and send out to a random person from the list of people participating.  As it turns out, Sean got mine. This one, which pleases me. I'll drop by his house to autograph it with the nice pen given to me by my favourite model. The photo I got was by an accomplished photographer who's work I've admired. It's a lovely desert landscape. No, I'm not going to take a photo of a photo.

But it got me thinking about printing images. I've had the image of 2017 printed, but not image of 2018, or  image of 2019, or image of 2020. Perhaps what I'll do is when I dither through to the selection for 2021, is take those three images to Resolve, plus the one that K&S selected that has been on hold for a long time for a variety of reasons, and get them printed and framed. The K&S story is several years old, in that S won a blog contest and had selected an image for her to hang on the wall in Switzerland, to reminder her of home, but we never got around to actually sending them the USB with the file, while K had access to a good printer. Now they're home again, and might like another image. The tentative plan is to bring them over one day over the holidays, feed them some good coffee and treats, and let them select one. There might be another one they like better, now that they can go and get that view any time they feel the desire.

Anyway, back to 3 months ago. Here's some more shots from that day. 

1. The non-panorama version of this view. I briefly thought about re-editing this one to make the sky more dramatic. But my thinking is that photo is what it is given the technology of the time. I'm typically not going to go back and re-edit photos unless there is some compelling reason to do so, like someone wants to buy a print, then I'll do a super duper scan to fix dust spots and tweak every little thing to make it perfect. There are subtle differences between editing for a computer monitor and editing for a print.


2. An unusual portrait of photobuddy T.

3. A view through a filthy window.

4. The famous Neil Zeller!

5. The famous Neil hard at work.

6. One of the group hard at it.

7. More reflections.

8.

9.

10.

11. The view while eating a burger and an enormous box of fries.

12. I went back to this bridge and did a fun photoshoot with Michelle.

13. I didn't remember at the time how to do the sunburst effect.

14.

15.

16.

17.

18. Light trails are lots of fun, but need a bit of patience. A lot of patience sometimes. 

19.

20. I have not yet been inside Studio Bell. I'm told it's really cool.


Of the Day
Driftwood

Peony

Lily

Artsy, you might have to embiggen this. Yes, this is a single exposure, with no special editing tricks.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!