Saturday, July 4, 2020

We speculated aliens stole the moon

Last night my buddy Cam joined me for a just-pre-full-moon rising practice shoot in Fish Creek. As regular readers of my blog will know, I have my difficulties shooting the moon. There is a socially distant meet up Saturday night to try again with some buddies. I wanted the practice.

So there we were, on a hill, chatting and waiting. Waiting and chatting. Both of us looking at our phones with different apps telling us different things about where, exactly, the moon would appear. There was some low cloud or murk or inversion on the horizon, and we weren't optimistic about getting the ultimate moon rise shot. Still, both apps lied to us. Split the difference and it would have been right on.

The moon was well above the horizon when it finally emerged. We were wondering what had happened to it. With all the weird stuff that has happened over the last few years, including the improbable Trump, and coronavirus, and many other things, we figured that aliens stealing the moon was at least as probable as some of the other whack-job conspiracy theories out there.

But I got some nice shots of other stuff out of the deal, and it's always fun chatting with Cam. We went to the fireworks after. The spot I hoped was secret turned out not to be that at all. Still they were nice, though I didn't set up to photograph them. It was weird seeing Blackfoot Trail at beyond rush hour traffic late at night.







No, I've no idea what kind of deer these are.



Earlier in the day I was in another part of Fish Creek, walking past a huge burl. I've been past it many times, and have aimed the camera at it several times, but somehow never been happy with the results. This is one of the better ones.




I was amused by this little lily, all by it's lonesome. We've had only a few day lilies open up in our garden.


There is a nice little micro-landscape getting started.



Of the Day
Michelle


Curtis


Flowers


Driftwood


Ribbon Creek


Me

2 comments:

  1. Lovely moon (real moon ;-) ) shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first image made me think of a condo development along some unidentified tropical beach, and I was trying to remember when you went to Mexico. I'm glad the aliens returned the moon. What were they doing with it when they had it in their alien clutches? Lovely sunset silhouette. I like the burl and to my eye I wonder what would happen if you desaturated the green, as I find the brightness of the green rather than contrasts, distracts me from the subject. Though I like the micro-landscape, I think it could be stronger if it was cropped a little tighter, as there appears to be too much context and not enough subject. The day-of continue to be enjoyable. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!