Sunday, June 7, 2020

Two skies and one flower question

The skies in New Zealand are amazing almost all of the time. Here's an over the beach moderately dramatic bit of sky.


Here's some Alberta sky, that I would call moderately dramatic.


I often find myself looking at the sky, thinking about the interplay of light on water vapour shaped by wind. Sometimes it makes for a great photo and I run for the camera if I don't already have it. Other times I'm out with the camera, waiting. I try to enjoy the view, even if it isn't particularly photogenic. I think to myself that the sky will never again be quite like this and someone should enjoy it.

It's like small moments of triumph. There have been times at work I've exclaimed my joy at something working. A bit of tricky SQL, a hunch about data relationships (that pipeline database was brutal and I struggled for every bit of it, since it was designed not to be reverse engineered.) a Maximo load working properly with suspect data, all these are minor triumphs, and if I didn't celebrate, nobody else would. Don't forget to celebrate your own triumphs.

There's been lots of flower photos lately. It's almost hard to go anywhere else with the camera when the flowers are putting on such a good show. Here's a couple shots from yesterday. What do you think? No, they're not a duplicate, look more carefully.




One is with my usual 100 mm macro lens for shooting flowers, and the other is with the behemoth. I've been doing a bit more shooting with it, trying to figure out how to get the best photos from it. Can you tell which lens did which?

The first photo of a decayed blossom happened about a week ago, I'm just getting around to it now.


Of the Day
Michelle



Curtis



Flower



Driftwood
This one was a bit of an optical illusion, both looking at it and in the photo, which is what I intended. Looks like long straight lines of driftwood, yes? Except the shadow. Is it buried in a little dune, or poking way above the sand?

1 comment:

  1. It is so important to celebrate the small victories because the large ones happen so very rarely. Now to your question, which I don't like because the two differ in their compositions, processing, and possibly aperture and distance from subject matter. In other words, all we have to go on is sharpness, the steadiness of your hand, and the foreshortening associated with a longer lens. Despite my hesitations, I am willing to place a no money bet that the first one is the behemoth. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!