Sunday, May 31, 2020

The behemoth was late for the morning light

A buddy of mine posted some great shots of backlit flowers the other day that I really liked. I could tell instantly he'd used a different technique than I do. Turns out he uses a lens that is half way to being a telescope.

I'd never thought of using a big lens on the flowers, and burned to try. What with one thing or another I didn't get out at quite the right time for the best light, but it was pretty good, and certainly good enough to get a sense of how to get similar shots.

Camera techie digression. My biggest lens is a 150-600mm. He used an 850 mm. That isn't a common size for a lens, so I'm wondering if he's using a 600 on a crop sensor. I could put my lens on my crop, and end up with a 960 mm lens. (Don't ask unless you really want to know.)

Normally I'd use a lens like that for wildlife, or something that's a really long way off. Normally I'm all about the detail in the flowers, but this produces a more painterly technique that looks lovely. I'll have to do this more often. Good thing I don't have to carry that lens far to do that; it weighs a ton. That's why I call it The behemoth.

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

10.

Hope you enjoyed, I'll have to do this more often!

Of the Day
Michelle


Celina



Flower
Same flowers as in photo 1 above, similar light, completely different look to the shot.

Driftwood


1 comment:

  1. That short depth of field and the flattening from the long lens produces a very different effect. It seems to work well on some compositions and not so well on others. I'm drawn to 1 and 6 above. Interesting experiment. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!