Sunday, June 14, 2020

End of a bike era

It's taken me a long time to make up my mind, for sure, but the time has come. I'm really not going to do another triathlon. Really not. It was a good thing to do, and gave me the impetus to get into better shape. I met a ton of really cool people.

But that chapter of my life is over. Do I need a good road bike gathering dust in the basement? I do not. I have a nice hybrid bike for the bike paths around town, and that's going to be all the riding I'll be doing. I can't see myself going for a long road ride, just for the sake of doing it. Riding to train for a race is one thing. But even if I could summon the fire in the belly for the training and racing, I'd be back to just finishing. I've done that enough, I don't want to do it anymore.

So, my road bike is for sale, plus related extras. Yes, I'm sad about this. Estela is a super-sweet ride and deserves a good home! I've had many fabulous rides on her, and I've never had a mechanical problem. She has been well maintained, never crashed, and goes downhill silky smooth at speeds that terrify most people, including me now. I once hit 92 KPH down Cochrane hill, and regularly exceeded 80 KPH, rock steady.

She is an orange and black Orbea Onix, new in fall 2007, 54" SN 06EOA 0238. As photographed it weighs 19.6 lbs or 8.9 Kg. I'm about 6' 3", and a taller guy probably wants to look for a bigger bike. I have the seat a long way up. If you're over 5' 6" or so you'll probably fit. Carbon fibre frame, forks and posts, chainring is 34 / 52, cassette is 11 to 28. Not sure of component quality, but I think it's Ultegra. Stock wheels. Shimano clipless pedals. Racks for 4 water bottles. Bento Box. Saddle bag. Cateye wireless bike computer that needs batteries just now, but I'll see if I can buy some.

Extras to go with the bike include, spare road tire and several tubes, a trainer tire, assorted patch and emergency equipment, a Tacx Flow trainer with power meter. My preference is to sell everything as a package. You can take the shoes with cleats (size 12 I think) or take the cleats off my shoes and install them on yours, but you'll probably want your own shoes and new cleats.

There is some other triathlon gear available I can toss in to sweeten the deal. A Zoot triathlon equipment bag with a zillion pockets. There are numerous bike and run jerseys in size mens large, some worn only a couple of times. Give them a thorough wash and they are good to go. Various bike water bottles.

This is a great deal for someone who has tried triathlon a few times and wants to get more serious about it. Looking for $900 OBO. Contact me keith at nucleus dot com.

In a bittersweet moment, the first guy snapped her up. I hope he enjoys riding her as much as I did.

















1 comment:

  1. As I mentioned the other day, I too have started to make decisions about what ifs. What if I need to reference that project or technology again. I threw out 18" of Oracle reference books the other day, that were over 15 years out of date. Not only had they become paper weights , they had become anchors to something that had long since passed. I feel lighter without that weight and now there is a little more room for new passions. Sometimes we have to say goodbye so that we can say hello. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!