Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Peony preview and a pergola thingie

The tulips have been putting on a show, but I always look forward to the peonies. The white one and Sarah in the back patio can be absolutely spectacular and so photogenic. The red is as well, but I've usually found the photos of it disappointing. Somehow the deep rich red doesn't get captured by the camera. I have some things to try, though. Stay tuned.

Here's the peonies from back to front.
The fern leaf is always first.

The Sarah Bernhardt peony has the huge fluffy pink and white blossoms, but it will be a while before it blooms.

This is a new tree peony planted in the side lawn. Still finding it's place in the world. The other one we planted at the same time not far away doesn't look like it's alive, but with peonies you have to be careful. They are cranky about being moved and can sulk for years, then burst forth.


The red peony I mentioned. It and the white are the oldest and best established.


The white. It has the biggest balls, and the ants are all over it.


This is a new one beside the house. Linda thinks it's a Felix Lacroix. It seems to be happy. I don't think it bloomed last year so I'm looking forward to seeing that.


The pergola thingie before, as in not at all. The climatis was desperate to climb higher. In 35 years we've lived here I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that door has been open.


And after. I've been wanting to get this done for several weeks, but the weather has not cooperated, and when it was good, there was a lodge to stain. The bit of iron lattice that the climatis has been climbing needs to be fastened to the wood, and the plant trained to go up. I'm sure it will. Another one, or clippings from this one will be planted on the other side.



No fingers were mangled, no cedar slivers, and only one tool lost, so it was a good day. I can't remember the last time I used 3 different power tools in one day.

Of the Day
Michelle


Celina


Flower


Driftwood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!