Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Trips, VI, not driftwood

I take lots of photos on trips. Some are ho hum, there I was, this is what I saw. Documentary photos are all very well, and some are more interesting than others. Some photos indulge my tastes in the photographic world, which explains driftwood and other distressed wood. I love the shapes and textures. And some, the circumstances or light or subject make it impossible not to capture the moment, even if it isn't something I'd normally be interested in.

Part of being a photographer is to show only your best work. I sort of do that. What anyone sees of my work is only a small fraction of the many photos taken. Just as a number, my Lightroom catalogue just passed 200,000 photos, and I've only edited about 20,000 for the blog, and not all of them appear. Of course I have some that are garbage because they're badly out of focus, or over or under exposed. Hunting dragonflies, for example, I might take 1000 photos, and end up with only a couple good ones. The rest get deleted.

Sometimes I try to tell a story with the photos, or that relate to the photos. Then I forget, and use one of the photos, which breaks the flow. I try not to re-use photos, other than image of the month. There's lots of photos taken on trips, and that usually accumulates good stories, some of which cannot be shared. Like the "this van smells like wet photographer!" story.

So for today's blog I'm going back to February this year, when we visited many of the beaches between Sooke and Port Renfrew, on Vancouver Island. Driftwood will not be included, since they show up in the Of the Day feature below.

1. That seagull was giving me the eye, and I liked the sheen of water on the rocks.


2. There are often photos of Linda on the way to the beach. She is so eager to scope it out.


3. I liked the windblown texture.


4. On a beach, scrambling up and over the dunes of coarse beach pebbles. She's not so fond of this kind of beach, preferring the soft sand.


5. Warming up trying to find the time lapse composition that appeared in an earlier blog.


6. Trees and sky, often a great contrast.


7. I took a photo of these people with the Fuji film camera, and this is the digital version. You can see the film version here, along with other photos and commentary about the GW690. 


8. Not sure which beach this is. 


9. This is actually a triple waterfall, with the other two falls just out of frame. Here's me playing with different camera settings. This happens a lot, tweaking settings for different effects. Usually I'll land on the one photo I like, but sometimes the ones leading up to it are good enough to keep.


10.

11. Sometimes the path to the beach is a scramble. Sometimes not. This is one case where the light on the steps that the camera saw is different than what my eyes saw.


12. Part of the path that's a bit of a scramble.


13. Hoping for a nice sunset, but not. That happens.


14. The view from beside the hot tub, camera pointed nearly straight up. If possible I'll set the camera up and let it run by itself. I might get several thousand photos out of it, all of which I'll have to look at. Sometimes I'll assemble them into a time lapse movie, or overlap them to get that circular star effects. Sometimes the Northern Lights show up.


15.

16.

17. I like the little streams that form on a beach as water drains away to the sea.


18. Linda, liking a flat and sandy bit.


19. Trying different settings and liking what I got.


20.

21. Linda trying to cross a bigger stream.


There's still lots of non-driftwood photos to come, mainly the forest walk to Mystic beach that we bailed out of, and the Galloping Goose Trail. Stay tuned!

Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)

Driftwood (BC)

Peony

Flower

Yukon

Celina

Film (new)
Part of the bike path near Fish Creek. 


Film (old)
And people wonder where Linda gets her eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!