Tuesday, October 3, 2023

September Image of the Month

For new readers, (welcome!) I like to review my photos every month. I think it's a good practice to see what worked or didn't and why. I don't want to be doing the same old same old. My idea of best might not be yours, and that's just fine. Sometimes my photo buddies agree with my choice, sometimes not. 

There's a tab on my photoblog where I put all the Image of the Month photos, with a link to the blog for that particular month. It's one way to see some of my best work. That page also shows a link for Image of the Year, where I usually explore the topic of "best" in more detail.

There's two points here. One is that "best" is a slippery definition at best. It could be best because it was technically difficult somehow, or the lighting was spectacular, or the subject was amazing, or maybe just because it tickles my particular fancy at the moment of choosing.  Sometimes there's several photos ready to step onto the podium, and I have a tough choice. Other times there isn't much choice. Two is that not all photos are in the running, so you won't see community association, race events, or private clients on the podium, no matter how good the photos are.

I almost always do the image of the month and two runners up. Sometimes the choices are more difficult than other times. This month I'm spoiled for choices, though many really good photos from the Ontario trip are not in the running because they're private family photos. 

2nd runner up
The Brockville railway tunnel, all dressed up in LED lighting, and with reflections. What's not to love? There's more from the Ontario trip that will show up in the blog.


1st runner up
Dinosaur Provincial Park (near Brooks, not Drumheller) is an other worldly place in ordinary light, and with lovely sunset light it becomes spectacular. Some of those will be posted on blog in coming days. And yet this black and white seems to capture the textures and strangeness even better than the colour photos.


Image of the Month
The ship's foghorn woke me up shortly after sunrise. I scrambled into clothes and ran out onto the dock. I got several lovely foggy sunrise reflection photos as I waited, some of which only just missed the podium, then it mostly emerged from the mist.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!