Tuesday, March 7, 2023

The Sooke Potholes, part one

The Sooke Potholes is one of those things where the name doesn't quite match reality. Most people think of potholes as something in a road to be avoided. But these are glacial formations in a river bed. The park itself has walking trails along the gorge, and will soon become clear, is quite scenic. I'd go back.

We somehow managed to time our visit to have amazing morning light on the gorge, and I was completely taken by the light on the frosty trees, with mist coming off the water. I mean, completely taken. I was clicking away, trying to find good compositions, mindful that the light might go away any second, and a few feet in front of me was a long way down. 

I didn't even think about the film camera. I'd have had to pull it out, add the film, figure out the settings and composition, and hope the light was still good. There's a saying in photography, the best camera is the one in your hands.

So this blog you get the various photos of the light on the trees. In part 2, your get river and rocks.

1. Frost was starting to drip off the tree.


2.

3.

4. This little tree was showing up really well in the light and in the different backdrops, so naturally I tried to  capture it.


5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

10.

11.

12.

13.

14

15.

16.

17.

Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)


Driftwood (BC)

Peony

Film (new)
Exploring the rocks and ice at Big Hill Springs Park. The ice showed up better than expected, and the rocks not as well. I was deliberately trying for a slightly slow shutter speed and wider aperture to get a flowing water effect. Missed it by THAT much.


Film (old)
No idea when or where this waterfall was. Probably Vancouver Island.




1 comment:

  1. You were not kidding. That looks like amazing light. I find the first three the most satisfying and of those the first is my favourite. It is nicely balanced and the composition works really well to help make me feel morning light beginning to penetrate the forest. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!