Thursday, March 3, 2022

Two foggy frosty walks

We don't get a lot of fog in Calgary. It can make for interesting and evocative photos. A buddy of mine did several of an LRT station shrouded in fog and the result was wonderful. It took a utilitarian concrete structure and made it beautiful.

On Tuesday I was driving downtown to meet up with some photo buddies for a film ramble. There were patches of fog, but it was rapidly clearing. By the time I got parked downtown it was essentially gone. From there the day got progressively brighter. This was all film for me, so watch for it on my photoblog page.

I was driving home from a community association meeting on Tuesday night, loving how the fog, streetlights, and trees interacted. Once home I grabbed the camera gear and headed out again. For a while I thought I'd missed my chance, then the fog rolled in again. I scurried from place to place, sometimes having to wait as the fog lifted or blew again, then came back again.

1. This is the one that caught my eye.


2.

3.

Then Wednesday I was trying to figure out a walk to capture the frost on the trees. What made it tricky is that often the frost was only on the east half of the trees, with a white sky, white ground, and some white fog obscuring houses and other background dark things that would provide contrast. Here's what I came up with, in two parts. Today is out and about, next time is in our garden. I was carrying both digital and 35mm film, and there were several cases where I was wishing I'd brought different lenses.

4.

5.

6.

7. I was loving the light on this tree. I've walked past it lots, and never really noticed it. Pity about all the fencing in the background.

8. Pity about not having the 70-200 lens to hand.


9.

Of the Day
Driftwood

Peony


Lily

Film (35m) A walk in Weaselhead park with Sean.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!