Sunday, March 13, 2022

Planning

For much of the last two years, planning an event was an exercise in futility. The rules could change at any time. The result might be benign, a bit of inconvenience and nothing more. Or maybe the food you bought is going to spoil, or maybe you get stuck in quarantine for a while. Even though we're retired, we don't want to go someplace and have to spend part of it stuck in quarantine.

We are talking about travel plans again. Cautiously. I signed up for a September trip to Yukon. Several plane rides, a helicopter ride, and a boat ride, this is gonna be fun! Most of it is based in Dawson City. Maybe this time I'll get to see the dancers at Diamond Tooth Gerties. Previous trips we've been out shooting the northern lights, or collapsed in bed. Which reminds me, I should start training now, so when trip day 47 rolls around and people are starting to flag, I can still pick up the camera and get that shot.

A friend is getting married this summer, and I'm beginning to flesh out a trip to visit the celebrations by taking the scenic route to Vancouver Island in a rental vehicle. Except rentals are tough to find now, and I've no idea if that situation will improve closer to the date. I've never been to Prince Rupert or along the road to get there, and Haida Gwaii is right there, and a lovely ferry ride along the coast to Port Hardy. Note to self, bring lots of film.

I've been wanting to get out to the east coast to do a fall colours road trip with my buddies there. I've been saying this for several years now. I used to live in Ontario, and still miss the rich colours. Southern Alberta is awash with golds and yellows and oranges, but red is rare. Plus Nova Scotia in general is amazing.

In more local news, I'm hoping I can do a Foothills road trip this week with a stop in Longview to pick up my camera and more film.

On the project front, now that people are willing to meet face to face, and actually see those faces, I want to restart the 50/50/50 portraits project. And the hands project. I'm not sure how or if the film camera will come into these.

How much of that will happen? Stay tuned.

Of the Day
Driftwood

Peony

Lily
A slightly different view of these dark lilies. I think they're called Nightrider. The lily supply is running low, there's a pink one for the next blog, about a dozen white ones, and that's it. Enjoy while they last.


Film (35mm)
This is the last of the Inglewood walk back in February. Next up are some 6x9 photos that didn't quite make the cut for this post.



1 comment:

  1. Good luck - Perhaps the hands project would be well suited to film. Peeling paint is surprisingly difficult. Both light and focus to my mind need to beither bang on, or way off. This one looks just a little off, and therefore works as a sketch. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!