Friday, December 14, 2018

Spoiled photos

You never quite know you've got till it's gone. No, wait, that's not quite right. Some photos you know when you take them it's gonna be good, and you hope that something didn't go wrong along the way. Sometimes you see the photo, and you hope your skills and equipment can capture that vision. Sometimes you aren't sure, and if you're sensible you'll take the photo and hope for the best. Sometimes something that was meh in real life turns out to be fabulous on screen once edited.

But you never really know till you see it edited on the computer screen.

These are all from my first ramble with the new lens down in Fish Creek. All were at least promising, or were taken for a reason. All are spoiled for exactly the same reason. I'll tell you what at the end, but see if you can spot it. If you have a good memory, you might already know what I'm talking about.

This is one where I hoped the photo would match my vision. In summer this is a little swamp, but the light made it a lovely little glade. The twigs forming a gate, and the fence posts leading into the scene. The creek curving away in the background. The interplay of snow on the evergreens. I was so disappointed to see it spoiled.


I was trying to get a sense of the path going up the hill, almost like a set of steps. I wasn't sure if it would work or not.

You can't easily see how this one is spoiled in Lightroom, but paradoxically, it's easier to see in this web version. But what this photo really needs is a someone sitting in the foreground, maybe fixing their skis or snowshoes. A big mane of red hair poking out from her hat would be a huge bonus.


Working on depth.

Having fun with a closed path, trying to get the sign and the pile of logs into the foreground, and a sense of the space behind.

Again, this one needs a person in just the right part of the path.

There is much distressed wood in Fish Creek, and I like trying to capture the rich colours and textures. Another experiment to work on foreground, background balance.

Did you spot the issue? Look carefully in the upper left portion of each photo, especially the second one. There was a water spot on the lens that I didn't notice while looking at the camera screen. Sigh. Lessons learned and all. 

I was out last night looking for sunset shots, and more of the ice rink crew, with mixed success. I keep thinking there is a great shot to be had while flooding the rink, but I haven't found it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!