Monday, September 17, 2018

Macro Monday 29, hair revisted

Some time back I took some macro photos of hair,  here, and here. It wasn't quite as complete as it could be. For one thing, the hair was still attached to the person. This creates obvious limitations on what you can photograph.

All these macro shots were at 5x with my MP-E 65mm macro lens, shot with my T6i which has a crop sensor factor of 1.6. So I don't know what the actual magnification is. All I know is that the hair samples were a small fraction of a mm in diameter, and on screen I'm seeing 5 to 8 mm in diameter. None of the photos are cropped. From the top to bottom you are looking at at about 2 mm of hair length.

Michelle has been excited about macro photos and managed to collect some hair samples. (I'm told nobody was harmed in this process.) Here she is, hard at it, working to focus on a hair in my high tech setup in the basement. She hadn't realized just how sensitive the whole process is, and how just breathing on the camera produces a visible wiggle on screen.



Strand from A

Root from A

Tip from A

Strand from K

Root from K

Tip from K. (this was brutal to capture.)

Root from M, brown

Kinky strand from M, brown

Tip from M, brown. (Again, difficult to capture.)

Root from M, silver

Strand from M, silver

Tip from M, silver. This one was easy, not sure why. Sometimes you get lucky.

Here I am, hard at it selecting and editing the photos. I'm not sure why I have my hands cupped together like I've captured a small animal. Yes, I need to clean off my desk. Later today. First things first.


I have a particular hair project in mind, but the tricky part is coordinating schedules with the people involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!