Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Trips DPP, no driftwood

Once upon a time I started a contract with a well known oil and gas company. You don't want the details of what I was actually doing. There were a couple people I'd worked with before, which is always fun, and that part was good. In the short term it didn't end well, since they wouldn't repress a complete non-team player, and I fired them for it. Later on they found out for themselves how much of a non-team player he was, and walked him out the door. I cheered when I heard the story, and felt totally vindicated. The potential of working there again was presented, and I said I'd be happy to discuss it. Later on, I got rehired by them to do something different, and that worked out well for all involved, at least I think so. (There are a few stories involved in this that are unsanitary enough they can't be shared here.)

During the first episode I happened to go past the cubicle of a new hire, and loved the photos posted in the cubicle. Turns out she was quite a good photographer. We chatted, and I ended up buying a lens from her. We did a couple photo rambles, then I got in on a trip she organized to Dinosaur Provincial Park, in the restricted area where you need a tour guide. That's where these photos were taken.

For whatever reason, I don't think I've blogged many photos from that. Mainly because right after that I went to Jasper for a ton of photos, then did some community association stuff, and then was sick.  I did some on film, thinking the landscape and sunset colours would be nice. You'll have to decide.

As I look at them now, there's far more than will fit in one blog. Or even 2 or 3. Now I have to think about how to organize them. More coffee is needed. (Slurp. This was a Fazenda Rio Brilhante, from Coromandel, Minais Gerais, Brazil. Delivered by Crickle Creek coffee.) OK, lets not overthink this, and just do them in time order. If Blogger doesn't screw it up. (It didn't.)

These are extremely undworldly landscapes. It's easy to see the inspiration for the roadrunner cartoons. They look like someone sculpted them, but it's really water eroding materials of different densities. The slanting sunlight of the early evening made for some dramatic contrasts. Stay tuned for more!

1.

2.

3.

4.


5. Rain gradually erodes the hard clay, leaving the harder rocks perched precariously on increasingly slender pedestals.


6.

7.

8. Yes, there's cactus and sage everywhere. 


9.

10.

11.

12. This is an actual dinosaur bone in situ. A vertebrae, but I don't know from what. 13 is a close up of it. This wasn't a new discovery. Our guide pointed towards this area and said walk carefully, this is just one of the bones. Don't step on it.


13.

14.

15.

16. This qualifies as the Of the Day, film (new)


Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)

Driftwood (BC)

Flower

And the three serendipities. A macro photo of a lily pistil. At least I think that's what it is. Linda might be laughing at me.


Part of the viewing room at the top of the Bow Tower.


A film photo of a burl near bridge 1 in Fish Creek. I've taken many photos of it, but have never really been happy with any of them. A work in progress.


Yukon
Fans of the Dempster will know exactly where this is, as the clouds rolled in.


Film (old)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Incredible landscape and wonderful light. You've captured it beautifully! I especially like 5, 7 and 9!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!