Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Jasper 8, the raven

For my new readers, I need to preface this by saying I don't consider myself a wild life photographer. If I'm taking a photo of an animal, it's probably because it's really close and posing nice. That goes double for birds. The exception is ravens and maybe owls. Ravens are fascinating to watch.

The other point is that ravens are a challenging photo because the black feathers both absorb and reflect light. Get the exposure right in nice light and there's a lovely shimmer on the feathers. Get it wrong and the raven will disappear into the shadows, or be a stark black shadow in the sunlight. Neither of those are likely to be good photos.

As an aside, for those same newer readers. Some photographers call themselves wedding, or newborn, or astro, or wildlife, or nature, or landscape, or any number of other types of photography. I don't like to put myself in a photographic box. I'm interested in aiming my camera at many subjects. My goal is to get interesting photos, and if I can, find a way to make an interesting photo of an ordinary thing.

So the ravens of this post. I was complimented about the raven photo in this blog post, and was asked if there were any more, and if so would I blog them, please and thank you. Since I was at it, and I knew they loved ravens, and that there were a few other raven photos, although some have been blogged before I thought I would gather them all up as a nice surprise.

We stopped at a nice scenic viewpoint on the way up to Jasper. The view was nice, but a raven posed very nicely for us. It was not afraid of people, and appeared quite willing to take food if offered, but was too proud to beg. It was really close, less than 10 feet away. We had time for photos. So far no bill from it's agent for publicity photos.

1.

2.

3.

4.

5. A raven on the road to the Arctic Circle, previously blogged.


6. A raven above the pedestrian bridge, previously blogged. Pity I didn't have a longer lens.


7. A Fish Creek raven. I'm pretty sure it's a raven.


8.

9.

10. Two Yukon ravens from the 2017 trip.


11.

12. Dawson City from 2022, previously blogged. This little one was bold as brass, willing to hop onto our table and help itself.


13. 

14.

Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)

Driftwood (BC)

Driftwood (Jasper)

Flower
A rose from exactly a year ago. No snow just now, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.


A Michelle serendipity from a 2017 ramble through Fish Creek, me on snowshoes, her on skis.



Yukon

Film (new)

Film (old)
A squirrel or gopher swearing at Linda because she wouldn't feed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!