Thursday, October 1, 2020

The promised purple dahlia

I hadn't known dahlias came in purple. Linda knew, of course. This dahlia popped up in one of the pots on the back patio. We were a bit worried about it and it's buddy during the cool evenings. I wanted to get a series of shots from start to finish.

My first views of it were just as it was fully unfolded on Sept 21, and I ran for the camera. After that I kept an eye on it, trying to take photos of it in different light. I totally fell in love with the delicate shades of purple, and the way the light seeped through at the base of the petals. Of course, all good things come to an end, and I've already alluded to autumn. Linda has covered it and the other tender plants a few times. The last photos were taken September 30 with all the petals gone. A few of the later photos are a different blossom on the same plant, just opening as this one faded.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23. That blossom in the background is the one I've been photographing, and this one is from the same plant.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.

And there you have it, the life cycle of a purple dahlia blossom. Linda will be storing the bulbs over the winter, and hopes to get an early start for next year. We have tentative plans to clear some space in the basement, install grow lights, and we'll have to devise some method of protecting the plants from the cats.

1 comment:

  1. You have been busy and I have some catching up to do. As always you have presented a lovely exploration. Here are the photos of note for me.
    ~ 9 I like it as it is different perspective than what you normally present
    ~ 15 I like it as a member of the set and the fact that the light is not on your subject - it sets up an interesting dynamic
    ~ 16 I like it for the care and attention you took on the composition and aligning the plant with the can
    ~ 26 I like it for it's balance and composition - so calm
    ~ 29 not as balanced and as well composed as 26 but still very nice
    ~ 34 Doesn't quite work for me as the top of the flower is too close to the frame edge. The resulting tension is a distraction.
    Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!