Wednesday, October 14, 2020

3044 days with us. RIP

Today was a sad day. We had to put sweet photogenic Curtis to sleep this afternoon. We are a little stunned by how quickly the kidney disease progressed. We'd known he was off his food and more thirsty than usual for a little while, and had lost some weight. His regular checkup had come, and that's when we learned it was kidney disease.

He went from eating reluctantly and drinking eagerly from the tap, to not eating at all and drinking reluctantly, to not drinking at all, to barely noticing the world around him over the course of a long weekend. He was starting to be unsteady on his feet.

I've had lots of cats in my life, but he was remarkable. I'm going to miss him as a lap buddy and as my very favourite animal photo subject. (451 edited photos of Curtis, compared to 306 of Celina.) We had him 8 years and 4 months, almost to the day. The first photo of him is in this blog, and in many more since then.

Here's the second last nice photo of him. The last was in Monday's blog. He doesn't look skinny, but he is. We can feel ribs and spine and other bones.


I'll leave you with a couple more from late last week. If you want more Curtis photos, you'll have to scroll back through the Of the Day feature where he was a regular starting about the beginning of April this year.




5 comments:

  1. My heart hurts...he was first and foremost your cat, but as readers of your blog for many years, he was my cat, too. I am so sorry - it is never easy to lose a family member. Love and hugs to both you and Linda. <3J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Keith my heart is breaking for you ��. I hope you and Linda find peace however you can. I’m glad I got to work with Curtis even for a short while... ����❤️. Take good care of yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. I'm so sorry for your loss. Curtis was a lovely cat. Sending hugs to you, Linda, Celina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good bye Curtis, you had a very good cat life, even if the mice weren't always hot and buttered. Keith and Linda, I am sad for you. Curtis was a dearly loved companion. I am sure he will be well remembered and sadly missed. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and special cat Curtis was. Sorry to hear about his decline and passing. Thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!