Monday, April 27, 2020

The black and white world

Celina! I was working the front garden and noticed she was giving me the eye, in a lazy cat sort of way. As I started to photograph her, she perked up slightly. The window is filthy, the lighting and shadows are tough, and the colour is terrible. Convert to B&W and some of those problems go away. I think this is one of the better Celina photos.

Some plants emerging from winter. I think these are lambs ears, and they have a great texture. No colour to speak of, so B&W brings up the contrast.


There are numerous B&W driftwood shots that will show up as we get there, but I saw this one as I was looking for today's blog photos, and decided to include it.


In our day to day lives we are often presented two choices. A or B. One or the other. With us or against us. Black or white. (see what I did there?)

Look suspiciously at the people presenting you such choices. They are almost certainly trying to delude or manipulate you. Life is almost always more complex than this, and the truth somewhere in the messy middle. A shade of grey. Nuanced. It takes more words to describe those positions. More than a sound bite. More than a tweet. Sometimes much more. There might even be facts involved.

This is difficult and unpopular, but none the less, it's how the world is. A virus doesn't care what you believe. Stupidity and bad luck often been a capital crime. Less so now, mostly, but wander off the trail with inadequate food or shelter and you might freeze to death. The weather doesn't care.

Worse, what used to be true may no longer be true. You might be basing today's actions and opinions on an outdated view of the world. I'll be going into more detail on this next blog. Think Hans Rosling, and enjoy the anticipation.

Driftwood of the Day
Also B&W just because. Some driftwood has little colour but great texture. It took me a while to learn to routinely convert to B&W and tweak from there but I think I've got it now.


1 comment:

  1. To continue with the black and white metaphor, if those are the two options then this result is a silhouette - an answer without texture. Furthermore, if the question is posed as black or white, then the question is at best the wrong one to ask, if you are actually interesting in understanding the topic. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!