Friday, February 17, 2017

Sunrise skyline reflection

I was out this morning for a sunrise skyline shoot. There had been quite a bit of dithering and peering at the Photographers Ephemeris trying to choose a suitable spot. The problem is, of course, once you arrive at that spot you are stuck. The magic light doesn't last very long. If you don't think it's going to be right for what you want, and you dash for the alternative place, you are likely to be in transit when the light is spectacular, and it will only last a few minutes. Oops.

There was very little cloud so I wasn't terribly hopeful for great shots, but you never know. At the very least it's good practice. And these turned out better than I expected.

It started with this. A traditional skyline against a darkish sky. I was a little late for a lovely violet sky.


For a few brief moments the purple took over, which was a surprise to me. My eyes could see it, but once on the computer it came up much better, without any colour tweaking. My buddy Susi will like this one.

On the way home after I stopped at the Rideau park bridge, and was rewarded with a nice reflection shot of some of the buildings downtown. I might have to come back here for night and sunrise shots where I can play with the exposure more.

There were a few other locations checked out along the way home, but the light was nothing special.

That was just the start of the day. Later I was in the pool, but there was no swim mojo. I was struggling to make my CSS intervals and I got lane roped. Enough of that. The hot tub felt good on my cranky hams and quads.

Lunch with some buddies in a feel good story. Remember the Penn West contract? My recruiter there called me for a role at Fortis. It would have been a bit of a stretch, but the big problem was that their office is in Airdrie, and I did not want to spend at least 2 hours a day commuting. I did my time commuting on Deerfoot, living in fear of being rear ended as the traffic transitioned from free flowing 100+ KPH to a standstill.

Happily I thought of my buddy Sean, and suggested the recruiter call him. That all went around, the signatures on the appropriate paperwork happened this week, and he starts next week. Yay! He will be better in the role than I would be. Today was a celebratory lunch. My recruiter also brought along a bottle of very nice red wine that I happen to be drinking now. A Chateauneuf de Pape, if you're wondering. Yum!

Then the market, then hosing off the car, then getting buried in a heap of demanding cats for a while.

So all in all, a good day.

1 comment:

Looking forward to reading your comment!