Thursday, March 24, 2011

I would die for you. NOT!

I was listening to a song on the radio this morning. Some woman was bleating out "I would die for you" over and over. I was thinking, what a dipshit she is. Dying for someone seen as the most ultimate thing you could do for them, and I can't think of anything more stupid just now. Even Twilight, which that song reminded me of. Then again, we're going to be having another federal election here soon, and that's right up there for stupid

Just what does dying for someone accomplish? Squat. The cube root of nothing. Worse than that, it leaves them to deal with a corpse, and there are all sorts of inconvenient rules about what can and cannot be done with or to a corpse. Really, what does either party get out of the deal?

I'd be much more impressed if she sang about putting some effort into it. Like taking care of someone that needs to be taken care of. Like making someone else's life easier or better somehow. The work is in figuring out just how. And then doing it. Or figuring out something useful to do with your life that will benefit many others, like inventing a way of cheaply and reliably producing potable water from dirty water. Or curing human stupidity, that would be a good one. There are no shortage of test subjects.

Wed yoga was all about the groin. Opening, stretching, working, invigorating, and I don't know what else. Even so, I went straight to bed when I got home and slept like a rock.

Back into the pool again, working on regaining this water feel thing. One hour. It's coming back. Leg exercises. A bit of core, but feeling lazy. The swimming is taking it out of me more than I thought.

7 comments:

  1. I'm trying to figure out which song you were listening to, but there are a surprising number of songs with those lyrics. I think it may have been the song Crush by Garbage. Appropriate, no? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, maybe catching a grenade for someone is more your style?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might have been "I would die for you" by Jann Arden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious!!! You crack me up! So true though!! There are a lot of stupid lyrics out there. Swimming always tuckers me out too- maybe if I did it more often...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am usually oblivious to lyrics until somebody points them out to me. But yes, that is a pretty stupid one.

    By the way, the bike course we're taking is at the U of C, this one: https://pr1web.ucalgary.ca/CamRecWebPublic/Event/EventDetail.aspx?id=S11OCYA001

    ReplyDelete
  7. The most talked about bad lyrics currently is 13 year-old Rebecca Black's "Friday." The bridge goes: yeasterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday and Sunday comes afterward. 10 million hits on YouTube!

    Your comment about Girl Guides reminds me: Canadians are almost as bad as the French on insisting on their own terminology. Guides must be the metric for Scouts.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!