Sunday, March 13, 2011

First KBRCC in a while

I fear Katie thinks I'm going soft or that I don't love her anymore. I haven't been to one of her classes since late last year. But it's not her, it's me, or rather, my knee. Until very, very recently going to her class would just be a waste of money and time since I wouldn't be doing any of it. Well, except for eating the cupcakes after, if I lived through it.

But my knee has been slowly getting better in a two steps forward, half step back, one step sideways sort of way. It was cranky yesterday walking around getting in and out of cars but good when I got up this am. I'm still limited how fast I can spin. The muscles just above the kneecap will cry uncle sooner or later. Today it was about 110 rpm, other days it's been as high as 140 (very briefly). I'm gradually getting stronger and pushing bigger gears but I'm being very, very cautious here. I have a feeling that it would be really easy to push just a hair too hard and undo months of work. So in the meantime I've done what I could at home.

But today was the day! My buddy Lori D wanted to check it out but pretty well only if I was going to be there, and I wanted to go, but it's really easy to back out. But once I make a date or the mental commitment to go, I'll do it.

As we got into the cadence pyramids I realized I'd not be able to do the fastest ones, so I settled in at what I could do. Later we did some hill work. I got through the first two of them, then realized my knee was getting unhappy about that. Standing was ok, which was a bit of a surprise. I went through the rest of the workout mostly doing the same stuff as the others, but just limiting the rpm a bit, and typically going one gear less hard than the rest of the class. On the bike 2 hrs, chatting with Lori made the time go fast.

Then I found out I goofed on shoes and didn't bring the right running shoes. Oh well. Plodded along for about 25 minutes or so. Tried to keep up with Lori at one point near the end, briefly.

The core was three sets, BRUTAL, Brutal, and brutal. I did better than I thought but still struggled. It's all good though. I need to work on the core more.

It's been a bit of a struggle getting the workouts in but I'm not fussed about it. I've worked less, rather than more over the last couple of years, which makes getting workouts done very easy. This year I want to work more, rather than less, and make sure I'm not shorting Linda on time together. If that means a workout level that barely maintains skills and fitness, well, that's the way it will have to be. I already know this is going to be a low key race year. Certainly no travel races. I'm getting closer to signing up for Chinook Half IM, and that might be the only formal race. My buddy Cath is talking about something for the May long weekend, and those two might be it for the year. Oh, and there are people trying to talk me into the Las Vegas marathon. Hmmmmm.

Weekly Summary
Swim .5 hr
Bike 2.0 hrs
Run 1.0 hr
Total cardio 3.5 hrs
Core 2.0 hrs.

1 comment:

  1. You should totally sign up for the Chinook HalfIM!!!! Maybe we will volunteer and cheer you on!

    I hear the LV marathon is pretty good! Eventually I will do their HM.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!