Thursday, January 27, 2022

Accoustic film followup

Back in October I blogged a bunch of photos from the Oyen trip here. The photo with the chair was the one I had hoped to replicate on film. Alas. 

In addition to the school, there's an old church. We had permission to go inside and found many photo opportunities. You can see them in the link above. Some of us sang, enjoying the wonderful acoustics. This is the front of the church on film, very lightly edited in Lightroom. I spent a bunch of time trying to find the right spot to shoot from, and get the settings right. 


Yes, the front door is screwed shut, we went in through a back door. Carefully. This is in a worse state than the school The foundations are cracked, and there's a big steel rod helping stabalize things. I'm pretty sure that unless someone puts a lot of money into the building soon, it's going to have to be torn down or fenced off for safety reasons. 

Out of the 36 shots on that roll, this one and the driftwood are the ones I'm most pleased with. 

We finished off season 1 of Veronica Mars last night, 18 years after the rest of you. Part of the problem in talking about TV and movies is the context of the current day. What's groundbreaking one year is passe the next. Some things age well, others don't. Think about 2 day old reheated fish and chips, and that's teen drama at it's best. It's downhill from there, and I have little patience for it in real life, and less on screen. Good thing I don't have kids.

Still, there are some witty bits, and Kristen Bell is fun to watch, and the overall mystery arc was mostly fun to track. That kept me going, though an overdose of unreliable narrator nearly did me in. I'm not rushing out to buy the boxed set. 

I was hoping to see a bit more thought put into plot continuity. There are several instances of bugs being planted, and yet nothing comes of what is heard. I think more effort was put into writing the various high school episodes, than the overall season arc mystery. Seeing some more fencing between Veronica and Clarence would have been good. Maybe it's next season. 

Next up, Mad Men. That started in 2007, so we're only 15 years behind. It finally arrived from the library, nearly a year after I put it on hold. I'll be going to pick it up a bit later today. 

One advantage of watching old shows is that you know how many episodes you're getting into, though you have to be careful about spoilering (is that a word?) yourself.

Of the Day
Driftwood

Peony

Lily

Film
The link above has another view of these sheds.



1 comment:

  1. Nice colour on the first one and the lily pops. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!