Thursday, May 14, 2020

A fun model shoot

This shoot got it's start in an odd way. My buddy Michelle is a cancer survivor. When she heard the Calgary Tower was going to be doing an  light show in honour of Melanoma Awareness Month,  she asked if I could get her a photo of that. At first we thought a light show meant they were going to light the fire, and I was totally on board. I don't have a photo of that yet.

Then we found out it was the blue and yellow LED lights, and I suggest she pose in front of them. That got her excited and I started scouting locations. It was a work night for her so we didn't want to be out too late, but we had a fabulous time during golden hour. She is an obliging ad easy model to shoot, and I'm so pleased at the photos. I gather from the textual gushing that she is too.

This is actually the last shot of the evening, and really the only one of Michelle with the lights in the background. It isn't quite how I envisioned it. As always, it's a learning experience, and there's things I'd do differently next time.


 What the lights looked like in focus. Then it was time to head home. I was sort of thinking of going back out again once I dropped her off, but I was yawning and wanted to see the photos.


Here's a few from the evening. When photographers call it golden hour, there's a reason. The light was stunning, and we weren't going to stand around waiting for it to get dark.





This one is special for me. She mentioned bringing a candle and I instantly had a thought of a close in shot, with a quiet look of contemplation, and the light reflected in her eyes. It's there, but maybe you can't see it in this version. I've got to remember this place, that background is stunningly perfect for portraits.


I'll probably spice up the blog with more from the shoot in coming days.

Curtis and Celina


Driftwood of the Day


1 comment:

  1. The two that strike me the most are numbers 1 and 6. The first is an interesting and original sketch. I like 6 because it communicates a reflexive mood. In both these images Michelle as a person is illuminated. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!