Saturday, November 16, 2019

Sky and wood

Sometimes you find great stuff when you go for a walk. I hadn't been out to the north end of Fish Creek in a while, so Thursday was the day. Much of it is pretty routine.

Then I found this, and hung around shooting from several different angles as the light changed. The hardest part of the first two was getting it level. It looks tilted because the line of the bluff on the left. The river is level.




I found this big log along the way, and I thought there was lots of promise, but none it worked out like I hoped. I'll have to go try again.


Deadwood of the Day
Even though you've got some already, you still get the regular feature. This is in the Elbow, near 5th St.


2 comments:

  1. Well, I was here before, didn't know what to say then, and figured time might help. The log is so graphically strong it feels visually incongruous with rest of the image. In 3 the dragon doesn't quite point to the sun, and the image feels incomplete as a result. 1 is interesting because I think there are 3 photos there. I really like the way the branches (without The Log) echo the lines of the clouds in the top right third. There is another smaller 16 x 9 photo in the bottom left corner with the log on the ground coming out of the bottom right corner. The third image is with The Log in the top left corner with mostly sky. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As people often say when I'm watching movies, "there you go, bringing reality into it again." Some of the realities of that shot include footing challenges and other elements that intrude into the field of view. In the second shot I was trying to hide that secondary branch, and absolutely could not. Sigh. Neither was I going to try to Photoshop it out. The dragon (I'm glad you saw that) not quite pointing to the sun, I'm just glad I got the image that I did. At the right time of day on the right days of the year, it might be possible to get really cool juxtapositions of the sun and log. I'll have to look at 1 again, and see if I can make the three images you mention work. I'd never thought of cropping it like that into separate images.

      Delete

Looking forward to reading your comment!