Friday, November 22, 2019

Photo/3

One of my avid viewers, and I call him that because I suspect he looks at the images before he reads the text, made a suggestion that a recent image could actually be cropped into 3 images. I've never considered such a thing, and couldn't really visualize it. But that's what Lightroom virtual copies are for. Lets experiment.

So here's the original image again. You saw it a week ago. It's one of my favourite images so far this month.


He suggested a 16x9 crop from the lower left. That aspect ratio loses almost all of the sky to avoid getting part of the main branch, and feels very cramped, so I tweaked the ratio a bit. The idea of this shot is sound, but there has to be something more than a patch of gravel to look at after you follow the log. I'm not sure what, though, and getting the size right would be difficult. I wouldn't want whatever it is to protrude into the sky.


I'm glad he caught how the clouds echoed the lines of the branches; this was actually what struck me about that shot in the first place. I think of the three sub-shots, if you will, this one works the best.

This was a tricky crop. I'd have liked to have had just a smidgeon more of ground showing at the bottom of the photo, especially in that V near the middle. But, I didn't want any of the horizontal log in the photo. This photo seems unbalanced to me, with the log seeming too small. Yet I don't see any good way to crop out some of the sky. There is a faint line of cloud following the line of the log, and then the cloud gets bigger. I don't want to lose any of that, and cropping above that takes only a small slice out of the image, and then I think I'm left with the same problem.


What are your thoughts?

 Deadwood of the Day



2 comments:

  1. Well that was an interesting thought experiment made manifest. The sky and branches is by far the most successful of the 3. Though I find it graphically strong there isn't enough to hold my attention. I'm thinking there wasn't enough there emotionally to hold me. In terms of the other 2, I concur with your observations. Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Via Facebook Susan says, "I have often wondered about the triptych. How to make one? What would be a good image for it? Where would I hang it? Do I want one? Maybe do it and give it as a gift? You’ve certainly provided some food for thought here."

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!