Wednesday, July 31, 2019

The micro-landscapes of Fish Creek

A few weeks ago I talked about micro-landscapes and aspect ratio. You need not go back and review, because it was mostly about aspect ratio, and this is mostly about micro-landscapes. But who knows where my writing will go? Certainly not me. If you feel the need to go back and refresh your memory, I'll hang out here till you come back.

When most people think of landscapes, they think of a sweeping view, a dramatic sky, mountains in the distance, rolling hills, mist creating layers, some water for reflections, something interesting in the foreground, maybe some leading lines, and vibrant colour that makes you want to walk into the photo and never come back.

But I'm thinking that if you frame it right, and play with scale, and think about composition, one can still create a landscape in a space that is only a few inches across. I was out for a walk in Fish Creek yesterday and found a few that are on the road to what I'm thinking of. As with the driftwood, these are all as found. See what you think.

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6. This one is the least micro as shot, and might be too big. If I could have moved off to my left a bit and composed more carefully it might have worked better.

7.

8.

9.

10.

There are a number of other photos from the walk, many of which got converted to B&W. I was actually in the creek several times. The water is running clear now, and is the perfect temperature for wet photo rambling.

The time has come to muse about Image of the Month. Lots of choice.

Peony of the Day (June 30)



Driftwood of the Day


2 comments:

  1. First of all, these are all well executed photos. In terms of micro-landscapes, 7, 10, and driftwood of the day begin, I think, to point in fruitful directions. The subject is identifiable in these 3, and they also start to point to other worlds. As a point of reference you may be interested in this photographer's work. http://www.francoisebachem.ch/en/projects/landscapes-2/ Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Sean, I had a quick look, enough to be interested. I'll have to look again when I get a minute.

      Delete

Looking forward to reading your comment!