Thursday, October 8, 2026

The grassy dragon spine

I've come back to this spot again and again, starting in 2017, here. I never did get a model to pose on the tree, with or without spines. We tried one day, but I wasn't going to ask her to wade through hip deep water to get there. Now, with nearly a decade of weather, and probably kids breaking off the spiky branches for fun, it's not nearly so interesting. Easier to pose on, but not so interesting. Such is life.


Some photographers return again and again to a place, a person, or a particular subject. They find inspiration in the subtle, or not so subtle changes. I've done a bit of that, of course. I love walking through Fish Creek, seeing the changes. Sometimes I wonder if I'm in a new spot because it's changed so much. I was recently in a spot new to me, between bridge 9 and 10, but on the north side of the river. This takes a bit of work to get to, but I found an interesting viewpoint. I got a few film photos that I hope turn out.

This year I didn't do a walk through the river, and I didn't go dragonfly hunting. The river walk is best done in August when the river is at the lowest. However we had a fair bit of rain this year, and I never got down to the river when it was low. I've had a bit of vertigo happening, so looking up and twirling around and around on a bridge or near a river isn't the smartest thing to do. 

I sometimes find myself looking at a place and thinking that I've already got a nice photo of that. Do I need another? Sometimes if the light is dramatically different, or the time of year makes a difference, the answer is yes. This is one of the reasons I've come to like photographing events and people. They're always different, people are moving, the light changes, so it's a constant challenge.

My next couple events on the calendar relate to our community association, and that's always fun. Fingers crossed for cold weather in time for our skate with Santa event.

Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)

Film, yes, it was as cold as it looks.


Linda


Newfoundland


New Brunswick


Why ever didn't I publish this, and maybe I did


90 days, or so ago
Fish Creek not far from the dragon spine tree. I don't know if the river flow did this, or someone stacked it up.


Flower


Landscape


Serendipity. Speaking of returning to a person...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!