Wednesday, July 19, 2023

The hummingbird fest

Birds two posts in a row! Whodathunkit? You guys are going to be thinking I've gone over to the bird side, but not so. I've always said that I'm not particularly a wild life photographer, if the critter poses nice, I'll oblige.

This morning Celina was out on her harness, doing her vole patrol. She is a good kitty, contributing to the household economy. 4 voles so far! At the least that is fewer plant roots getting chewed by voles. Our neighbour 2 doors down has caught several voles in mouse traps, so we suspect there is a  vole colony in the yard between us. Maybe we should ask if we can let Celina roam in there.

I digress. While checking on her to make sure she wasn't tangled up on something, I noticed a hummingbird checking out the delphiniums. I'd heard one last night, but didn't see it. I watched this one then ran for the camera, since it seemed to be sticking around. 

So today you get several hummingbird photos. These are cropped way in on a 200mm lens, and the shutter speed is slightly too slow. Enjoy the uniqueness, at least. This is the first time in 3875 posts you've seen hummingbird photos.

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)

Driftwood (BC)


And a serendipity from 2019. This isn't a freelance artist, those rocks are glued or pinned in place.


Peony

Flower

Yukon

Film (new)
Medium format Acros II.

Film (old)
I actually remember taking this photo. It's probably one of the first ones where I saw composition and walked a bit to get in the right place, getting the roof aligned to the mountain. This is probably late 80's.


1 comment:

Looking forward to reading your comment!