Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Some watery photos to cool you down

The main news is that I've finished the first draft of my next photo book. It's called Memories of Sundown at the Arctic Circle, A trip up the Dempster Highway in September 2019. Unless I come up with a better title. Right now it's 42 pages, 67 photos, several of which are panoramas taking up the entire width of the layflat book. My loyal blog readers will have seen at least some of the photos before. I need to fill out some of the stories that go with the text, but the main attraction, I hope, are the photos.

I am reminded of the 80 20 rule. During the first book I goofed on the layouts, and had lots of tweaking to do. I was more careful this time, but there's still a bit of tweaking. The whole size of the photo container vs the size of the photo is a bit of a pain in the butt.

Last week I dropped off 8 rolls of film to be developed, and as always, I can't wait to see what's on them.  While I was out and about on Canada Day with a film camera, I got asked why? The young adult couldn't get over the manual focussing, manual settings, not seeing if it was done right, waiting till the roll was done to take it out of the camera, dropping the film at the lab to be developed, waiting to get the negatives back (though I could have the developer scan them for me), scanning them myself, and then running them through Negative Lab Pro to finally, FINALLY see what is there. 

They thought it was such a hard process and took so long. But that's the point. People appreciate what they work for. There is more to photography than carrying around a camera set on auto, with the lens that someone told you was appropriate, pointed in the direction they said was a nice photo, edited by AI software.

It's been smoking hot here, and it seems everywhere else. So I thought I'd show you some photos of water captured in the last 3 months.  

1. Fish Creek in subdued light, finding out how Lomo 100 film reacted.


2. Fish Creek on a smoky day.


3. Fish Creek on Acros II film.


4. The film black and white version of #2 above.


5. Fish Creek.

6. A road trip into BC. This waterfall is just off the road to Takakkaw Falls. This is the digital version, I think I've blogged the film version that I happen to like better.


7. Takakkaw Falls.

8.

9.

10.

11.

12.

13.

14.

15. Film is Kodak Gold 200

16. Film is Kodak Gold 200

Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)

Driftwood (BC)

Peony

Flower, One of Linda's new roses that is living near the front door.


Yukon, Miles Canyon.

Film (old) (You got lots of new film above.)



1 comment:

  1. I find bookmaking another journey of learning, experimenting, and refining. Welcome to the road. Speaking of refinement, as we have discussed before photography is hard. Though as I wrote the other day, I think a better phrase is photography is slow. The 1/125th of a second is only a part of the process.

    The Photos
    ~ 4 - I really like the moodiness of this image, and it is hard to imagine that this is an urban park.
    ~ In the Takakkaw series, I am drawn to 7, 9, and 13. Regarding the latter, I really like the bottom 7/8ths. The top 1/8th doesn’t’ quite work for me as it is an unsatisfactory answer to the same question I pose to myself. What to do with the top of a waterfall, and if I include it where should it go?
    ~ 17 - Nice perspective and the depth of field is in a satisfying range.
    Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!