Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Still dithering, so, books

Yes, I'm still dithering about image of the year. I'm looking at 15 images, over and over again. For a while I thought I was down to three, then I wrote more about criteria, and that changed the three. So to keep you from getting bored while I dither, here's the latest reading.

Rarely Seen is a gift from Linda. It's full of wonderful photos. The title is appropriate. 


The Midnight Library was a fast easy read. Woman takes her life, ends up in an infinite library of the infinite lives she could have lead. She explores some of them. 

It sort of reminded me of a story where everybody comes to a tree and hangs their troubles on it. They can walk around and look at the other bags of troubles, but to walk away from the tree they have to take a bag of troubles with them. In the end they select the bag they brought.


Thief of Time is one of the many disc world novels. I'm not sure where it fits with the others. It's a fast breezy read, and if you like other Pratchett work you've probably already read this one. If you do, and you haven't for whatever reason, you'll probably enjoy this one. My favourite character is Death.

Maybe this is heresy, but I've never been a huge fan of his work. I tried reading some back in the day, and it didn't take. But then I saw Going Postal because there were some actors in it that I really like (Richard Coyle from Coupling, Claire Foy from anything she's been in, David Suchet from Hercule Poirot, Tamsin Greig that we saw in one episode of Elementary and in Neverwhere, Charles Dance from a ton of stuff. And the trailer hooked me right from the start. Reading the book after watching the show was fun.

Then I was browsing in the library and saw this. It doesn't cost anything to take it off the shelf, so I did, and enjoyed it.

The reason I was browsing the shelf in the first place was to look for a book I'd read recently, or fairly recently. Two of them, actually, and I think there's more in the series, and that's what I wanted. There's a library of secret books and other secrets, and librarians with a guardian tattoo, families of dragons that run parts of the world, and portals that lead to different times, allowing various characters to show up. It's not The Library, or The Librarians. Damned if I can find it. Various searches have lead to similar things, and there's enough of them to thoroughly confuse things.

And yes, it will be no surprise to my readers that I'm nearly peeing myself laughing at the Republican failure to elect a speaker. They're nearly done the 6th round of voting as I write this, and it looks like essentially the same result as the last 5 times. Tell me again the definition of crazy?

If they can't elect the leader of their little clubhouse gang because the can't spell compromise let alone do it, how on earth do they expect to actually govern? They can't count. The children voting for their own version of life, which involves breathing different air than the rest of us, are getting 10% of the vote. Sure, do a few like this to make your point. But it's ludicrous to think the guy getting 10 times as many votes should step down. That's the tip of the tail wagging the whole dog. 

What frightens me is that we have people that think like this as politicians in Canada. The USA is an object lesson in Conservative idiocy just now. 

Of the Day
Driftwood


Flower

Peony

Tombstone

River reflections

Lynx

Film

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love the Tombstone shot. The light is truly extraordinary. As always, thanks for the book recommendations. I file them away in hopes I might eventually get through some of the 18 books I started in the past year so I can start something new. LOL! It's not as bad as it sounds. I actually AM making my way through them. It just takes longer than it used to because I spend too much time doomscrolling.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!