Monday, July 11, 2022

One down, two to go

Many of my readers know the ordeal I speak of. For 10 days a year Calgary goes even more nuts than it already is, and one aspect of that is Stampede breakfasts.  This year is even a bit more over the top than usual, as if to make up for the two years they were missed or dramatically toned down. 

Nobody knows how many there are over the course of Stampede. If you can't find a free one every day, you aren't trying. Some are enormous, like the one put on at Chinook Mall. I seem to remember that one year they put 50,000 people through. Some are private; many organizations put one on for their employees, clients, and business partners. Some charge a fee, and it could be open to anyone that wants to ante up, or it's for invited guests only. Most are public and free. Food quality varies, and you don't know what you're going to get till the plate is full.

Our community association put one on last weekend. It was the public and free variety. I'm told we had about 800 people, which I believe given the one time I counted there were at least 100 people in the lineup. There's a link to photos in my photo blog if you're interested to see what one looks like, plus the one below as a teaser. 

So that's one. Next is an organization I once contracted to, so I guess I'm still on the list. This is one of the ways of staying in touch with your network. Hobnobbing with people you've worked with to see if they have more work, schmoozing people that you think might have work, generally showing the flag. Lots of deals get done during Stampede, and some get undone. I had one once that was all flanged up but for the actual signatures before Stampede, and when I went in to sign after the dust had settled, it turned out the wheels had fallen off that particular wagon. A good thing too, for me, given stories I was later told. I'm sort of hoping to get pitched; that's always flattering, but the answer is going to be no thank you. Well, unless it's something truly astonishing, or is a writing or photography project.

And the last (at least according to the current schedule) is a political one. Our City Councillor is putting one on, and all the community associations are invited. I think I'm the designated hitter for Woodcreek. It will be a good chance to meet and greet my counterparts in other associations. Plus it never hurts to schmooze with politicians. You never know when they can do something for groups like ours. Even something small like a letter of support might make the difference in a grant application. 

I suspect that nearly every provincial and federal politician in Canada makes a pass through Calgary, especially ones on the conservative side of the spectrum. There is no better event to rub shoulders with your political buddies/rivals, and to hit up the base for donations. Even Justin Trudeau showed up.

I know there are people who turn up their noses at the whole breakfast thing, and it's related brethren, the BBQ lunch. But they're part of the culture here (maybe that should be 'kulchure') and you either go along or you go away. When I was working downtown I liked to take an afternoon and stroll the streets downtown. There's lots of free entertainment, some of which is fodder for divorce lawyers, and no shortage of eye candy no matter what your orientation is. I'm not sure if I'll do that this year. It's easy when you're already there, but to make a special trip, find parking, and stroll aimlessly seems like a lot of effort. Unless I take the small camera and try some street photography. Hmmmm.

Here's one from our breakfast.


Of the Day
Driftwood

Flower Iris

And Serendipity courtesy Green Fools, the Bouffon performers plotting their next move.


Peony, the last of the anticipation ones.


Film (6x9 Ektar 100) A peaceful scene in Fish Creek late one afternoon. Seconds later a bunch of kids jumped in the water and started playing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!