Saturday, August 8, 2026

The world's most corrugated camera obscura

The book arrived at last! I'd put it on hold at the library, but then it never showed. When I asked the staff about it, he couldn't even find it in their database. The assumption is that it's been lost or stolen, and they only noticed when I asked. I ended up ordering it from U of L, and it arrived in a few days.

Art, Research, Play; The Midnight Sun Camera Obscura Project by multiple contributers.
1.

2.

3.

4. This isn't quite what you'd see with your eyes, but it gives the idea. We are standing around a large  somewhat dished table, with the projection coming from above. I got lucky in that the image was right side up. I'm thinking seriously of another visit, maybe with photo buddies, and see if we can get them to clean the lens and mirror.


5.

6.

7.

8.

The book is a delight. I was thinking if it was kind of blah, I'd donate it to the library to replace the missing one, but no, this is a keeper. I've gone through it once fairly quickly, but I want to dive back in and read more thoroughly.

The book talks about the art and research being tied to one another, and to human creativity and play. There's some back and forth, showing a bit of the path people took to get there, and reflections on the experience. I think the people involved with the project had a lot of fun. Plus lots of photos of the various installations in and near Dawson.

It was fun for me to be reading about two places that I've been, Dawson City and the Coutts Western Heritage Centre. (here, if you missed my previous posts.) For many of the Dawson photos, I'd been to that exact spot.

I was reminded a bit about Beakerhead here in Calgary. It seems to be on pause just now, and it seems I missed the Maker Faire in May. That would have been fun. I'm not particularly creative myself, but I love looking at what other people produce.

In other news I'm (once again) taking a sabbatical from Facebook and Instagram, for the same reasons as before. Not a good use of time at best, and at worst they aren't good for my blood pressure. One of my friends deleted her FB account and good for her, but I can't quite go there yet. 

Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)


Film


Linda


Newfoundland
You can't tell looking at this photo but the water looked disgusting, with a vile orange tint from the iron ore in the ground. 


New Brunswick


Why ever didn't I publish this, and maybe I did


90 days, or so ago


Flower


Landscape


Serendipity
I've done other versions of this photo, but it popped up when I was looking for something else.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!