Sunday, April 2, 2023

March Image of the Month

That month went by quickly, though it wasn't particularly productive for my own photography. I always seem to struggle with the tail end of winter. I'm sick of white, but there's still a lot of it. And where it's not white, it's mud, which is even less photogenic.

One of the things I'm learning is that some images don't need colour. That there isn't any to speak of these days is beside the point. So this was a good time to expose some Acros II black and white film.

As it happens, I posted two of these in a group on my other blog last Friday, so they won't be new to you, but maybe you'll be pleased to see them again. 

Second Runner Up
Same film, but on 35mm during a walk in Votier's Flats in Fish Creek. I was loving the various shades, from the bright white snow, to the dark shadows, and the transitions between them on the curves. This turned out even better than hoped.


First Runner Up.
This was a tough choice. I also liked the one a bit further down stream. You can see all the photos from that roll here. As soon as I saw this I knew I wanted to capture it, and spent some time playing with composition, and trying to figure out the metering. I was hoping the flowing water would show up better, but it's there if you look. There was just enough motion in the water that a normal exposure photo wouldn't have seen the reflections.


Image of the Month
Long exposure, knowing there wasn't any water spray to go white, but looking to capture the texture of water over the rocks. The reflections were a nice bonus.





1 comment:

  1. I have already commented the first runner-up, which I quite liked. I have returned to the IOTM more than once and I'm still undecided. My eye travels off to the right. I wonder what shiny bauble lies outside my view. My eye also tries to travel upstream to the left and doesn't find enough tones to keep me there, as I am drawn to the bright areas at the far edge of the frame. As I said undecided. Cheers, Sean.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!