Thursday, September 26, 2019

The Viking visit

No, they didn't row their longship up Fish Creek to pillage and loot. We drove up to Edmonton to visit them at the Royal Alberta Museum. This exhibit was the first time some of these items have left Norway. I can't imagine how they safely transported a ship about 35 m or 100 feet long.

I got conflicting responses about photography, so I took the camera anyway. The admissions people said no problem, and the security guards didn't freak out. All these are done hand held in ambient light. I haven't made any notations of what this is, I figure if you're reading much beyond this, you know what you're looking at. Some of these items have been featured in reference books. If you live in Alberta and are interested in the Vikings, it's well worth a visit.


 I could rest the camera on some of the displays, but the LED lights flickered. I needed a longer exposure, but I didn't bring was a remote release. Sigh. Neither did I line up the multiple exposures for the panoramas properly.


Fancy a big image of a sword that's been in the ground a thousand years? This would print out about 10 feet wide by 2 feet high. Much larger than life.



Part of a bridge pillar.


Some of the jewellery. They decorated everything.














Some of the details of the Roskilde 6 ship. Amazing anything survived after 1000 years.






A replica.

This will amuse a couple of my readers.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!