Sunday, September 8, 2019

Fox, desert, bear

After the lynx, there were some cute foxes. Then lunch and awesome coffee at Bean North. Down to Carcrosse desert. Yes, an actual desert. On the way back we saw a black bear on the roadside snarfing up dinner. I'm not as pleased with my shots of that, but I did get some bear butt for Susi.

Saturday was a travel day. I say the day because we're already losing track of what day it is, and how long we've been here. The stars were beautiful last night, but I already have more lovely star shots, so I didn't set up. Besides, it was an early morning to catch a plane. I love not having to go through security before getting on a plane.

So far it's been a quiet day in Dawson to regroup and relax for our big days ahead. We are a little nervous because the Dempster is closed north of Eagle Plains, and 38 K north of there is where we want to go. Eagle plains is Lat 66.3711° N, and the arctic circle is 66.56083° N. We might be .18973 degrees short. Something about an overturned propane truck. We are hoping they'll get it fixed before we get there. Perhaps our awesome guide will know a detour.

So some photos for you, as of Saturday just before dinner. I'll probably hit the publish button first thing tomorrow, which will be today for my readers. Not sure when I'll blog next.




Sorry Susi, there might be fox butt later, I've got more to look through. In the meantime you can console yourself with musk ox. I'm pretty sure you've never seen such a thing.






This guy was not spooked by cars at all. We cruised past several times and were completely ignored. No other cars stopped other than one pickup that was already stopped when we got there.




For Susi. You know.

Some of us were up late last night (now its Sunday morning for me, keep up) and the aurora came out to play. Here's one shot.


Off for breakfast and up the Dempster!

Peony of the Day
(July 20)


Driftwood of the Day


2 comments:

  1. Great shots of the fox especially. Aren't muskox amazing? Did you see them in nature or at the local wildlife reserve I visited when I was there? I loved Carcross too.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!