Friday, March 15, 2024

TIWATIWIS

No I'm not smoking dope. I'm just finishing my first cup of coffee. I'll explain.

There are many kinds of photographs, done with many different intentions. Some are wonderful, some are not. There is a particular category that I call, There I was, and this is what I saw. (now go back and look at the title again. Are we good?)

Good.

Those of you that have been following along know I go to Red Deer to buy wine kits. Why? It's cheaper. I saved $60 on one kit. We're only buying 3 kits this year, but it adds up, even considering the cost of gas to get there and back. I happen to know that our car will burn 18 L of gas for that trip. Gas is shockingly expensive just now, at $1.49 /L, so $27 for the trip. It's even better when I can pick up all the kits in one trip, but that doesn't always happen. That was about to turn into a digression on oil company profit margins, but I restrained myself.

I sometimes like to take the scenic route, and sometimes my friend Sean comes along, and we both bring our cameras. Yesterday was such a day.

The problem is that this is the yucky season for landscapes. Melting snow and nothing growing doesn't make for good photos. Search light bright sunlight scorching the snow doesn't help. However, it is what it is, and part of the challenge is to find or create nice photos anyways.

I cannot count the number of times I've driven past the signs for Dickson Dam, which creates Gleniffer Lake. I've never been there, and decided that was as good a place as any to check out. After all, what's the worst that could happen?

Which leads back to the title. We got there ok, and wandered around a bit. There wasn't much to see. Unless things change dramatically, there isn't much to see even in summer. We took photos anyways, but they do not even pretend to be anything more than documentary evidence we were there.

1. The spillway from across the river valley, from a viewing area that I think is a teenage hangout for watching the submarine races, given the fast food containers overflowing the garbage bins.


2. Faint shadows on ice.

3. Ice cracks with faint shadows.

4. The water level is way way down.

5.

6. Converting to B&W was the only way to actually see the mountains in the photo.

7.

8. Best photo of the day, Sean working on a composition with the most interesting thing we saw there.


9. That white area in the left foreground? That's Gleniffer beach. Ipanema and Piha have nothing to worry about.

Was the trip a failure? Of course not! After this we zig zagged into Red Deer, got the wine kit, had a nice lunch and drove back, with great conversation along the way. 

To change the topic a bit, one of the things was discussing activities in person with other people, such as shared events, coffee, or lunch, and how much better that is than on-line 'interactions'. 

Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)


Yukon

and a serendipity from 2016.


Film (new) There were some thoughts about the juxtaposition of those wooden seats, at least that's what I think they are, with the towers downtown.


Double Exposure

2 comments:

  1. Great seeing. It's hard to get interesting photos in those conditions but I like several of them - in particular 4 and 7. And of course I always enjoy your Yukon shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The company as always was great, and as you said the brown season does present creative challenges.
    04 - I like the colour and texture of the concrete, where and how it meets the ice. I'm not sold on the bridge. Maybe there is a tighter crop without the bridge that would make this image stronger.
    05 - I love the orange line.
    07 - Nice sense of looking over, and I like the detail of where the ice meets the concrete.
    Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!