Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Winter to wildfire in a few weeks

A month ago there was still snow on the ground in shadowed areas. Today the snow is long gone, spring has sprung, and things are so dry that the wildfire season has started. We had a smoky summer a few years ago, and it's looking like we're going to get more of the same this summer. Sigh.

This is sunrise yesterday, May 17.


This the back garden a month ago.



Now there's green everywhere. Linda has a bunch of plants that she is putting in baskets and planters. Once she's done there will be photos. The green mesh is up to protect the tulips from ravenous bunnies and deer. I've already mowed the lawn twice and it's long enough for another cut today. The BBQ has been cleaned and is in regular use. The patio table has been pressure washed and the umbrella put up. We've even eaten outside a couple times already. 

You can't tell from the photo but the lodge needs another coat of stain. One of my errands yesterday was to get another can of that stain. The inside of the shop smelled strongly of cedar, and barely any smoke. I hung out while the stain was mixed, looking at tools and supplies. 

Over the pandemic I watched a bunch of the 'One Day builds' that Adam Savage was putting up. In a former life I wanted to be a model maker and have a shop full of tools. There's some tools downstairs, of course, but the shop is a mess, and has been for a long time. 

My thinking on this is that if were going to do that and have my own tool cave I would have done it by now. I suppose I still could. The tools are there to be bought. I even saw one kind of saw that I've never seen before. I could organize the shop properly. That could be a project that could take up much of the rest of my life without even actually building anything.

Of the Day
Driftwood (NZ)

Driftwood (BC)

Peony


Flower
I've no idea what this is.


Tombstone (or Yukon, I think I'll give you some Miles Canyon)

Film (new)
Fish Creek, bridge 8. The least photogenic bridge in the park. Why? Mainly because of its construction, but also because there's a pair of nearby bridges for the rail and LRT lines and it's nearly impossible to get just the pedestrian bridge in a photo.


Film (old)
Linda at an SCA event, showing off a peacock cloak used by one of the ceremonial officers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!