Monday, January 11, 2021

AMA 7, more photo philosophy

And from Sean. What changed or didn't change in your photography practice last year and are there aspects you would like to change this years?

Well, let me get another cup of coffee and we'll get started.

One thing that changed was races and community association events being cancelled. I like doing these because you have to become a photographer that lives in the moment. You have to immerse yourself in the action, and predict where to be to get a good shot. You have to recognize a good shot as it's happening. I sometimes end up shooting with both eyes open, one through the viewfinder to compose, and the other looking out at the scene looking for the next shot. You don't often get a chance at a do-over, though sometimes the kids are delighted to do so.

For races there is no do over. That finish line shot is a one time thing. That bit of race drama, the look on someones face, will never happen again. The photographer needs to scout things out in advance, thinking about where to be. Then waiting patiently. Hopefully being able to see the racers coming and prepare to shoot, but sometimes not. Some race directors are remarkably inconsiderate of working photographers, though to be fair sometimes the geography of the site doesn't give them any choice. 

Plus, many races start at half past ungodly. The sun is barely up, shining horizontally across the parking lot where people are gathering. The shadows are dark and long. Then the light changes rapidly. You have to know your camera and your settings, and change on the fly. I usually have a sore finger after such events. Then there's the editing of the hundreds of photos.

The nature of the event forces that style of photography, unless you are there to photograph one person and can ignore everyone else. I still remember doing this for my buddy Patricia as she did a half marathon. There I was, waiting for her on the pedestrian bridge under Crowchild trail, trying to get the settings right. Then a guy comes along all show-boating for the camera, and he's pissed that I'm ignoring him. And yes, I got the shots of Patricia I wanted.

Some people approach all their photography like it's a race, snapping everything in sight just in case it's a good shot. This is not likely to lead to a good shot, except completely by accident. I think one of the hallmarks of a good photographer is that they can consistently create good photos, even where other photographers can't see or get the shot. Having better equipment is typically not the explanation. Being smart about the composition, taking best advantage of the scene and the equipment to hand, and most importantly being in the right place at the right time ready to shoot.

I have become more thoughtful about photos, at least trying to think before clicking. Asking myself why I think this is a good shot. What am I capturing, or trying to say. Thinking about composition. Policing the perimeter, as one photographer says. I think my next camera is going to have to have a view finder that is 100% of the photo area. I tend to have all kinds of stuff creeping in around the edges. Sometimes that's just the nature of the shot, but sometimes it's been carelessness. 

There's a project in mind that will require lots of thought about composition and lighting and posing. I think it will be a great exercise in mindfulness. I'll certainly blog about it as I work through it. 

And that, my dear and faithful readers is it for the AMA feature this year. Thank you so much for participating!

Of the Day
Driftwood



Celina, complaining about how difficult life is for her. We tell her every other cat in the world yearns to suffer her difficulties.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!