Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Back in the groove

Today was the day to find out if I was getting back on the fitness bus, or was going to be a weenie. The weather page said it was -17 this morning, and even though the Feb IGP™ hasn't arrived (hint hint) it was the usual day for a morning run. My legs have been feeling pretty good, so out into the cold it was. I dropped my wife at work, and parked under 8th ave where it goes over Deerfoot. That's a nice fairly flat path.

5 min warmup brisk walk
6 x 4R 1W
not quite 5 min cooldown, and some stretches beside the car.

It took a little while to get back in the groove. There was one point where I think I was unconciously running faster, and and I started to get this odd muscle flicker in my calf. So I slowed down for a bit, and chugged along till the turnaround just north of the Fox Hollow Golf Dome. The run back didn't take quite as long as out.

The spin class tonight was fun. Lots of people were there, and we got to check out the new store. Very nice! The floor looks great when it's clean but it shows every spec of water, sweat, mud, ect. Greg had us putting mats under our bikes. I'm not sure why, more water and crud gets tracked in from the outside than we sweat off during the ride.

We did a bit of one leg drill, then started the main set of 4 x 10 min at a low heartrate, medium cadence, fairly big gear. For me then ended up being about 80 to 85 rpm at about 115 to 120 heart rate. The last one was tough and I had a bit of trouble getting into the groove again. During the cool down I was trying to spin a bit faster for a minute, and found it really hard. Greg did a bit of showing off, going to max power for 20 seconds. I thought the bearings on his spin trainer were going to explode.

My total ride ended up being 1 hr 40 min.

1 comment:

  1. HEY! No picking on IG - he just finished his big build for the big race. LOL.

    Good job getting back out there.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!